Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Jitter in photo time-lapse sequence

I am recording a Time Lapse Photo 5s Linear with my Hero7 Black Firmware 01.90, the resulting images jump up and down a few pixels.

When converting the images to video you can clearly see the jitter (see attached video).

Has anybody else seen that? At first i thought it maybe the wind moving the tripod, but then i tested it in my basement, and i see the same result.

G0016949.gif
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Jitter in photo time-lapse sequence

I am recording a Time Lapse Photo 0.5s Linear with my Hero7 Black Firmware 01.90 and it does not jitter.

Highlighted
Nomad

A:  How stable is your tripod as I can see the plant leaves moving, so there's an air source in there that could be slightly moving your camera (and that's going to be even more noticable in timelapse).

B:  Are you actually fliming in timelapse mode or have you selected Timewarp instead?

Highlighted
Hiker

Hello, yes, i am working on a tripod and made sure that it does not move at all.

And i use Timelapse Photo that generated individual images, and not time warp.

Highlighted
Nomad

Unfortunately without a timelapse of your tripod setup, it's nearly impossible to say if this is camera related or other.  The camera should be using it's full sensor in timelapse mode (as opposed to timewarp which digitally crops the image) so edge to edge should be still.  However you can clearly see extra information it entering from the top and bottom when the movement is present.  It's not random information either, it's actually part of the scene.

This would indicate that the camera itself is moving.  This could be caused by someone walking by causing a slight movement in the floor, simply brushing up against the table if that's there the tripod is mounted, or even heavy traffic nearby.

You can test this out by putting the tripod somewhere else (lets say your kitchen), shoot for the same amount of time and see if this type of movement is still there.

You can also shoot the same timelapse you've done and look for any repetition in movement (does it happen every 20, 30, 40 frames etc?, is it just a once off movement per shoot?).

Highlighted
Hiker

I have the camera mounted on a workbench that is screwed down on a concrete floor. The timelpase is about 7000 images.

The attached sample.png is from the first folder with 1000 images. I just checked the first 200 images named from 16885 to 17087 and marked the ones with a 2 pixel offset.

As you can see there are 16 images offset (that's 8% of the images). It is random, and not regular from what it looks like. 

I keep testing this, and i don't see the issue when i use 0.5s or 1s intervals. This only happens with the 5s interval, but i still have to test 10s and 15s intervals.

sample.png
Highlighted
Hiker

I am recording a Time Lapse Photo 10s Linear with my Hero7 Black Firmware 01.90 and it does have jitter, but it is way less than with 5 seconds interval. I am now switching to ProTunes to see, if that changes anything. I hear that GoPro Hero8 Black doesn't show the issue.

Highlighted
Hiker

I tested this with firmware 1.70, and it has the same issue. Worse case scenario is to set the interval to 5s. The resulting video is going to have a 2 pixel shift in 8% of the images taken.