Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Jerky pans

[ Edited ]

I bought my Hero 8 for a trip to Africa earlier this year. I knew there'd be no computer or wifi so the footage wasn't cheacked until long after our return which was right in the middle of the COVID 19 outbreak. I had trusted the Hero 8 to reflect its advertising and reputation. I do a lot of hand held landscape pans and as a professional photographer previously in the film industry, I have a pretty steady hand. What is witnessed in many (but not all) of the videos renders them useless. It's as if the camera has determined its own speed of pan but can't keep it constant so tries to catch up every now and then with quite sudden moves. These moves are what I would describe as digital jerks. They can be in any setting I use (1080 or 4k)and on horizontal or vertical pans. The jerkiness is reflected in both GoPro and Quicktime players. I see many other reports of this anomaly online but no work arounds or action to solve the issue by GoPro. This would be a good time to chime in and reassure users they're working on this. It is unacceptable. See attached video.

Hero 8 Serial # C***0 v1.50 

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Jerky pans

Hello @photoluminism

Sorry for any trouble caused.

What SD card are you using?

Please have your camera updated to the latest version (1.60).

See https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero8-black

If it's still the same, it will be best if you can share a sample file.

You may upload it to Youtube and share the link here.

You can also reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs  for further assistance.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Sightseer

I'm using a SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB. Will upgrade camera today. Thanks.
Highlighted
GoPro

Thanks! @photoluminism

Feel free to post back to let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej