Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: It over heats

151 degrees 45 plus minutes 140 plus and 43 minutes bottom line no issues good luck pny and samsung 64gb cards
Highlighted
Tourist

Very interesting, but i would like to have an official info what a gopro is capable to perform. I found an info that in operating conditions if the temperature of the battery exceeds 125°F (51,667 C) the camera shuts down for safety reasons.

But my problem that in an temperature and humidity controlled environment (electronic production). in a very short time the camera overheats and shut down.

I'm not talking about about a dashboard mount in the death valley at noon heading south (this will cause ridicoulous temperatures of course.

at 23°C without sunlight i don't think this operation conditions should be out of spec, this should be the almost ideal operation conditions, an shouldn't have any problem even with full feature engaged.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @royalsummi8411

Please note that we do not have any official extreme temperature ratings for the camera.

You may check Camera Performance in Extreme Temperatures

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Yes,

but my problem is under "normal" conditions there occurs problems.

So the questions is under which conditions the Gopro hero 7 black is capable to perform video in 4k 60 FPS WLAN turned on (e.g. for remote control) perhaps also GPS without overheating and shut down.

IMHO the camera should only offer options that is capable to perform. there a lot of possible combinations not available e.g. 720p 30 fps, so softwarewise it is no problem to exclude certain combinations which are not longtermstable.

Of course it is a marketing nightmare to exclude for a 4k/60FPS actioncam, the mode 4k/60FPS and to put it in a expert menu with the hint only up to a few minutes under certain conditions.

a 4k/60 FPS Action cam should be able to perform 4k/60 FPS with nearly all features turned on without shutting down.

I´m not accusing getting warm, i`m accusing running hot and shutting down, within specs. What when not a temp and humidity regulated environment should be spec.

Highlighted
Tourist

Just got my 2 new Sandisk Extreme 256 GB, checked Firmware and updated to 1.90, set to 4k60 no wifi or GPS.

Indoor ambient conditions approx 20°C at my desk. Gopro stopped recording after 00:30:05. Now removed the cardand put into my private Gopro hero 7 black. To check if the same behaviour occurs.

Highlighted
Tourist

New status:

checked the micro SD in my private GoPro Hero7 black, in same environment, same settings, same firmware.

guess what

it succeed, sd card completely used, no shutdown due to temperature issues.

SD Card reformat in company Gopro

so now recheck with the company GoPro.

Update will follow

Highlighted
Tourist

Back again

after such such a short period its clear

crashed again after 37:01

Conclusion: 2 Gopro Hero7 Black same firmware, same settings, same sd Card , same environment, total different behaviour.

one crashing due to overheating below one hour, the other running completely filling up the SD card.

Yes also my private Gopro is running "very" warm but it is not shutting down.

To all having temperature issues, not all GoPro Hero7 black are shutting down due to overheating there is a variation, due to that it is necessary  from GoPro to announce what is  within the yield and what not.

We will return our company GoPro with error description, and check the replacement.

If a Device is sold as capable of 4K 60 FPS, it has to be able to perform this.

if two identical devices have different behaviour (one success, one fails) one is faulty (and securely not the one that succeeds)