Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Issues with HDMI image quality using Media Mod with GoPro Hero9 Black

[ New ]

It took a few weeks for the Meda Mod to come back into stock, but I've been using mine with my new Hero9 Black for a couple of months now. I'm using this combo to proviide webcam and live streaming via HDMI (into an Elgato HD60 S+ or a Black Magic ATEM Mini Pro).

What I've noticed is that the top of the image looks like what might be described as a one dimentional horizontal vignette - i.e. the top 5% of the screen gradually gets darker towards the edge.

The problem is also visible when the Media Mod is plugged directly into my BenQ PD3200U monitor (see attachment). Note, there are a few pixels in the top right of the image that do not have this issue.

This issue does not appear video recorded on the camera, or in any photos. Neither does it appear in the rather limited webcam driver (that is available for Hero8 and Hero9 cameras).

I reported this to GoPro support nack on November 17th, but have hear nothing since uploading a set of images illustrating the problem. I was holding fire on going public, but I think GoPro needs a nudge to take this issue seriously.

If you have the same config, I'd be interested to know.

IMG_4222.jpg
Nomad

Re: Issues with HDMI image quality using Media Mod with GoPro Hero9 Black

[ New ]

This is so you can see the icons when they are displayed.  Otherwise you could film a bright white background (sky, snow, painted wall) and not be able to see any icon information as those icons are also white.  Putting in a darker transition aids with being able to see the icons.

Tourist

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx wrote:

This is so you can see the icons when they are displayed.  Otherwise you could film a bright white background (sky, snow, painted wall) and not be able to see any icon information as those icons are also white.  Putting in a darker transition aids with being able to see the icons.

Nope. I've used the option (an eye with a diagonal line through it) to turn off all info and icons, so there are no icons to hide.

Support are being VERY slow. I logged that issue on November 17th (over a month ago). Still no resolution.

This is my first GoPro. I was expecting beter support for subscribers. Seems not.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @pgdh

It will be best to reach out to Suppor to follow up on your case.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm (once again) waiting for someone to get back to me.

Communication has failed to meet expectations.

At least here, I feel like someone is listening.

It's a shame when customers have to drive support, isn't it?

Tourist

[ New ]

Having returned the Media Mod to GoPro through the RMA process (as they insisted), I eventually (after Brexit delays in Eindhoven) received a brand new Media Mod which has exaclty the same issue (as I had expected).

I have recorded a brief 2 minute video explaining the issue here ...

https://vimeo.com/504472773/0792c7509f

Am I the only person who wants to use my GoPro camera as a live HDMI source? I doubt it.

This is "HERO9 Black Media Mod HDMI issue" by Phil Harman on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @pgdh

Sorry for any trouble caused.

This has been reported to the team. 

I'll get back to you on this thread once new information is available.

Can you please check the version number of the camera?

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

@aragon1006 wrote:

Hi @pgdh

Sorry for any trouble caused.

This has been reported to the team. 

I'll get back to you on this thread once new information is available.

Can you please check the version number of the camera?

Thanks!

Ej

From PREFERENCES > ABOUT > CAMERA INFO the Version Number is 01.50.72. That's the labs version which I installed yesterday, not long before I recorded the latest video explanation. Before that, I've always kept the firmware up-to-date, but the HDMI issue has been there since the Media Mod arrived (mid October).

I've installed the labs version because some functionality has gone from the GoPro iOS app - specifically, the ability to change some parameters (e.g. white balance, colour space, EV, min/max ISO, etc). I used to be able to adjust these using the iOS app, even when using the HDMI output. The QRControl app is a bit easier than using the menus, but it doesn't work when using the HDMI output.