Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Is there going to be a way to use an external mic on the Max? I need it for radio traffic in the air

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Is there going to be a way to use an external mic on the Max? I need it for radio traffic in ...

Are you going to use it to record conversation between air traffic controller and pilot? @kayakmedic

Some users are just recording it separately since GoPro Max does not support external mic. 

-Jay

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Is there going to be a way to use an external mic on the Max? I need it for radio traffic in the

The GoPro Max doesn't support external mics for a very simple reason.

To support an external microphone you would have to have that microphone plugged into the GoPro Max USB-C port.  This would result in having an object (cable) so close to the camera that stitching issues would be very visible.  In short, the picture would look terrible.  Most 360 camera users actually want very clean/invisible stitch lines in their footage.  Hence the reason external mics are not supported.

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Is there going to be a way to use an external mic on the Max? I need it for radio traffic in the

In the aircraft I would rather have audio and be able to crop out to cord in editing production.  I think this makes the Max a deal killer for a lot of pilots. Seems like it sould be a simple softwear fix to give the option.

Highlighted
Nomad

Since every single cable and setup would be different it's far from a simple software fix.  I just use two camera's in my airplace, a Fusion and a GoPro Hero 6.  I have the 6 looking out the window and hooked up to my coms.