Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Is there anything that can prevent the 7 black from overheating and immediately shutting down?

I bought a new Hero 7 Black yesterday. Every time I turn it on it overheats immediately and shuts down within 7-10 minutes. I have updated the firmware and I have tried every resolution and frame rate, changed batteries (all OEM GoPro batteries, charged in GoPro charger), and used half a dozen different (but all GoPro approved) microSD cards, all formatted in the camera. Nothing makes any difference. And when I say it heats up, I mean it gets too hot to touch. This overheating and shutdown happens even if I am not filming. Just having it turned on causes it to overheat and shut down. 

I don't know if this makes any difference, but the average time to shutdown is 7 minutes and 30 seconds. If I am shooting 4K/60, it shuts down in about 3 minutes. The room temperature was 72F and outside temperature 85F. Shutdown was not dependent on being indoors or out.

This is an expensive piece of garbage. My first and last GoPro product.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Is there anything that can prevent the 7 black from overheating and immediately shutting down?

Hi @royalexper83524

Sorry for any troubles caused.

The camera should not overheat when it is on stand by.

It will be best to reach out to our Support Team regarding this.

Let them know of the steps you have taken or you may just refer them to this post.

They are available by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Is there anything that can prevent the 7 black from overheating and immediately shutting down?

Please note that Shooting 4K @ 60FPS is a very camera processer intensive thing to do.  If you have options like WiFi, Voice Control, GPS, Protune turned on also, this adds more strain to the processor causing it to heat up.  Since the GoPro is an "action camera" meant to film "action", using these settings to film things like Sky Diving, Motor sports, Flying is no issue as there's plenty of airflow around the camera to cool it down.  However filming 4K @ 60fps while leaving it sitting indoors means there is no airflow around your camera and therefore its experiencing overheating.

I would suggest turning off feature you're not using, and dropping the resolution and frame rate if you're not actually recording any "action".  This will solve the overheating and shutdown problem.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the feedback. However, voice control was off, as was protune. I was not using wifi but I was using GPS as I needed precise location data. I was filming outdoors and after the initial shutdown I switched to 1080 at 30p. My footage consisted of catching and bagging venomous snakes - maybe not as thrilling as sky diving, but I would still consider this as action.

But it rather misses the point. If the device only functions correctly when most of the features are disabled, why does it have the features installed? I think that any reasonable consumer would expect that every feature should function normally under all conditions. If not, the firmware should disable any feature combination that is going to cause the device to overheat and shut down. Or at the very least, the device should ship with a warning about the likelyhood of shutdown with certain feature combinations.

Further, the implication that a consumer should be aware that the designation "action camera" means that it will not function as described unless the device is being cooled by rushing air, is just silly. 

I appreciate all of your points and I have followed each of your recommendations, but the camera continues to overheat and shut down every time I use it. I am assuming that I have a bad copy and will be returning the device today. The experience has left a bad taste in my mouth and I think I'll try something different next time.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @royalexper83524

Sorry for any troubles caused.

The camera should not overheat when it is on stand by.

It will be best to reach out to our Support Team regarding this.

Let them know of the steps you have taken or you may just refer them to this post.

They are available by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you. I'll give them a call.

Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

Sure @royalexper83524

Let us know how it goes with the team.

Thanks!