Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Is there a way to fix Corrupted GoPro Hero 4 Files?

[ New ]

Hi everyone, 

I recently went on vacation where I took some incredible footage with my GoPro Hero 4. Some of it was transfered via the app straight to my phone but some of the files showed up black on the phone and simply won't play. 

When I plug on SD Card to the computer, I see the files, all of them are different sizes, but the ones that look black on the app wont play. I tried playing through VLC, I tried fix.video and a couple other softwares but no luck. 

Before I completely lose hope, is there anything else I can try to do to rescue my files? This footage was so important to me... I can't believe almost none of it will play. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Nomad

Re: Is there a way to fix Corrupted GoPro Hero 4 Files?

[ New ]

It is odd, but it's possible that your video files were recorded in HEVC.  I found myself that VLC player is not the best for playing these back and will often play the files back as corrupt.

The first thing to do is know which files you are looking at.  Your GoPro should have 3 files for every video.

Video File = MP4 (this is your main video file with the high resolution video, this will be the largest file)

Thumbail file + THM (this is the picture of the file displayed in the GoPro app)

Low Resolution Video File = LRV (this is a very small, low resolution video created at the same time as the MP4, it's what is played back in the app when you a previewing the video file).

Instead use Windows Media player and follow the instructions here to install the HEVC extensions:

https://www.howtogeek.com/680690/how-to-install-free-hevc-codecs-on-windows-10-for-h.265-video/

Please note that you have to have hardware capable of playing back HEVC for this to work.

You may also want to try uploading one of the video's to YouTube, seeing if it processes for playback.  If it does, the video is fine and the problem lies in your hardware.  If it doesn't, then the video is corrupt and therefore not likely usable.  

Please try the above steps and see if any of it works, if not, post here and there will be further suggestions.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thank you for your input. 

I'm using a Mac computer which doesn't have WMP. Is there HEVC extentions for Mac? 

I'm trying to upload to YouTube now... Hoping it'll help. So far, though, I see all 3 files but can't play any of them :( 

This footage is so important to me... Really hope there's something that can be done. 

Nomad

[ New ]

Trying my best here, it's hard to actually know what to do without seeing the files first hand and knowning if they are retrievable.

Here's an indicator, on one of your mp4 files, can you get some file properties and see what the file size is?  I'm hoping it's more than 600mb or even 1GB.  That means it did record a large volume of information.  If it's smaller ( a few  hundred KB), then thats not a good sign at all.

You may want to check out the min system requirements for HEVC on a Mac, I'm not sure what they are (or if it's even the issue).  This link may help you though

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207022

Like I said, uploading to YouTube may be the best indicator of all, if they play, they work, if not, they are corrupt.  If they are corrupt, we need to see if the corruption can be fixed.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks so much again! The files are def larger than a few KB. I took some short videos so they're anywhere between a few MB to a couple GB. 

I tried uploading to YouTube, but it didn't work so I'm guessing they're totally corrupt.

What's the best way of trying to fix corrupted GoPro files? I would hate for them to go to waste :( 

Nomad

[ New ]

I would do a search online for "Video File Repair".  There's a number of programs out there that you can try for free.  I would suggest using one of those on a copy of the files (not the originals).  If it works, you can purchase, if it doesn't work, then you can try another program.  

Hiker

[ New ]

I've tried a few but they won't let me preview the files they found on the SD Card. I also tried fix.video and it didn't work... Do you know of any online ones for images? 

If you have any specific recommendations I'd really appreciate that :) 

This is so strange, I don't understand why the camera let me continue to take pictures if the card was messed up to begin with. 

And how can it be that the files are so huge if there's no data in them? (this last part is just me ranting to myself haha) 

Adventurer

[ New ]

googledrive the file and we'll figure it out  or