Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Is there a setting on hero 4 black to stop filming automatically when it gets dark ?

[ New ]

Hi all. This question has to have been asked before. I would like to know if my GoPro hero 4 black could stop filming time-lapse, or any type of filming automatically when it gets dark. I don't mean night lapse. I just want it to stop when it's dark.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks Dave

Backpacker

Re: Is there a setting on hero 4 black to stop filming automatically when it gets dark ?

[ New ]

This isn't a feature supported by the camera.

So you'd have to think outside the box.  You could always remove the battery and power the camera via an external power source hooked up to a timer socket.  You can then just set your timer to turn off after sunset.  However that will only work based on certain times, also a sudden power off would result in your camera stopping recording, not starting again and may result in the loss of files.

Your other option is to use a camera better suited to the job like a security camera with motion detection.

Tourist

Re: Is there a setting on hero 4 black to stop filming automatically when it gets dark ?

[ New ]

Thanks for your reply. That's a shame The GoPro doesn't do that. Are you listening GoPro tech guys? Is that something you might be able to add via Firmware updates maybe?

Your idea of just using the camera without a battery. But plugged into the wall with a timer is a great idea. But like you say. It will turn the camera off with a timer. But will not turn it back on. It's a bit of a no go on that. I'm aiming at setting the camera to take one picture every 60 seconds. As I want to watch the crops grow in the fields out front of my house. And the trees turning green etc. I have tried a Brinno time-lapse camera. They don't switch off when it gets dark either.(Well not the model I had).Plus the picture quality is pants. 

Anyone else with a fix?

Dave