Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Media Mod/HDMI connection

I'm not 100% on what HDMI out the media mod uses, but...

You're using an apple, so it makes it a little more difficult with the lightening bolt, it might not communicate with the software.
If you're laptop only uses lightening ports you need a converter for apple.

If the media mod uses a Mini HDMI port, you will need a Mini HDMI to HDMI
You will also need an HDMI to USB converter.

If the media mod uses a USB-C, I assume is has the conversion software built in, so you just need a USB-C to USB port
If it doesn't have the build in conversion, you will need a USB-C to USB and then you'll need the converter mentioned above.

The short answer to your question:

To use a device for wired streaming, you need a Mini HDMI cable (most DSLRs), a HDMI cable (the standard for video transmission),
and something to convert HDMI to a USB signal (this can be expensive depending on where you get it from and the quality)

If you're looking to stream it's always a good option to buy a device solely built for streaming.

I hope this helped!
Highlighted
Tourist

The media mod is a mini HDMI to HDMI and I have various adaptors to connect HDMI to the laptop but none seem to receive a signal. What kind of converter are you referring to?

Thanks!!!
Highlighted
Hiker

You're going to need something like this, this is just an example...

https://www.amazon.com/Capture-Broadcast-Streaming-Grabber-Converter/dp/B0779ZJZX3

The reason why:
Your laptop outputs HDMI signal.
Plugging in your Mini HDMI from your media mod to your laptop through HDMI will not work.

Since your laptop is HDMI output only, you need an HDMI adapter, so you can use USB as the next best option

Pro-Tip:
Make sure to get USB-3 or USB-C for fastest transmission.
USB 2.0 will be very slow.
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Is the Media Mod worth it? Should I purchase it for my setup?

Thank you so much for all the replies and the link. It was very helpful. Once final question, so will using the capture device just render my laptop as a display? Or can I see/participate in my Facebook LIVE real time?
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Is the Media Mod worth it? Should I purchase it for my setup?

If you're going to use the media mod + mini HDMI + converter, you will have no need for the RTMP

Your laptop will have the option to use your GoPro as a webcam option. If you're streaming on Facebook you have the option to use a capture device before you go live, just make sure to set this up on your laptop so your MediaMod is a selectable option and then start your stream!

But let's say, for some reason this doesn't work.....

You can still use the RTMP just make sure to find a monitor, television or the LCD panel mod attachment for the Media Mod.

Use this as a monitor as an screen to watch yourself as reference and set up your live through RTMP.

The only issue I see with this is, you have to use the GoPro application to use the RTMP option.

If the GoPrp application doesn't have the option to select your HDMI out before you select the RTMP this could be a fatal error, bit I'm sure the developers thought about this...

I hope this helps!