Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Is the Media Mod worth it? Should I purchase it for my setup?

I've been debating on purchasing the Media Mod.

(I thought the Media Mod was included in the 50% with the GoPro Plus, BOY was I wrong).

I mostly use my GoPro for hiking and adventures I have throughout the day.

I purchased my GoPro to stream, but the RTMP option isn't what I want.

A workaround would be to buy the Media Mod and an HDMI to USB converter to use my GoPro as a webcam to stream.

Is this worth the work and investment?

Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: Is the Media Mod worth it? Should I purchase it for my setup?

Just a warning, if you plan on using an external mic and Quik Capture, it doesn't work.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I have the same question

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks for the heads up, I wonder if GoPro will every update 

Highlighted
Hiker

When I order it I'll make sure to tell you about it.

Highlighted
Nomad

First of all, I have a GoPro Hero 8 (two of them actually) and a media mod, "Quick capture" works just fine on them, so one user with an issue shouldn't be making claims that the camera's quick capture doesn't work.

On to your questions...

I've been debating on purchasing the Media Mod.

I purchased my GoPro to stream, but the RTMP option isn't what I want.

A workaround would be to buy the Media Mod and an HDMI to USB converter to use my GoPro as a webcam to stream.

Is this worth the work and investment?

No, the GoPro was not designed to be used for streaming production.  The GoPro will output recorded 4K files at 4K with the media mod.  However for livestreaming it will be limited to 1440p max.  So if you want a 4K option, then you need to buy the right tool for the job.  Also there could also be audio/video sync issues when running output from the media mod to a convertor as well as a delay in the feed.

I purchased my own media mod for the HDMI playback and the ability to connect external microphones.  I have no complaints about the performance as this is what the mod was designed for and it works fine for that use.

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks for your input! I'm probably going to purchase the media most once the LCD attachment gets released and stream on the C922
Highlighted
Tourist

Media Mod/HDMI connection

I have been using the Go Pro 8 to live stream to Facebook using RTMP. I ordered the media mod so I could attach an external mic and also attach it directly to my MacBook. I have it connected to an HDMI thrunderbolt adapter and then to the camera, but it doesn't work. Anyone know how to help???