Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Is the GP1 chip crap? So many issues

I have just bought a gopro hero 6 which is updated to 1.6 and has a SanDisk Extreme V30 which gopro recommend.

The quality of the photos is like a Webcam from 1998 with unbelievable grain in semi low light environments. The thing freezes and just all round feels like a beta product. I am so annoyed that I have bought this camera to capture the memory's of my trip of a life time and my f****** Samsung s7 takes better shots and videos.

I see all these post about future firmware update that will fix the bull crap this camera makes you deal with but I am wondering if it's actually the cameras hardware that is crap. Maybe the GP1 is just poor piece of hardware and the gopro 6 will always be a crap camera. What are your thoughts?
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Is the GP1 chip crap? So many issues

Adding to this. I am now in a difficult situation as I bought this camera just before I went travelling and am unable to return it as I am overseas. My gopro hero 3+ black set a pretty high benchmark when I first bought it and it still takes better low light shots than the hero 6. I didn't do much research before I bought the hero 6 and just presumed I would be getting a massive upgrade over the hero 3+ black....
Highlighted
Hiker

I hear you buddy and share the grief with you. I personally think it is firmware. I have had very bad luck with the latest version 1.60 firmware, and reverted back to 1.51 for now. I have duplicated issues with three of these, one from gopro and 2 from best buy. I would hope that they do the right thing and fix these with a new update. Seems to me though that they are focusing on there new fusion product and not helping their long time customers with this gopro hero 6.

Highlighted
Backpacker

i use mine daily & is fine. Yes i did have issue when the Hero 6 was first released & ended up returing it, since 1.6 i brought another & this has had no problems

Highlighted
Tourist

The 2.01 update seems to have completely changed my cameras low light performance. Huge difference