Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Is my Hero 6 consuming to much battery? [Test inside]

Hello!

I have a GoPro Hero 6 since last november but recently I noticed that the battery performance is not as good as expected. I think that my GoPro Hero 6 is consuming more battery than usual.

I did a couple of tests:

• Firstly, GoPro HERO 6 Battery official 98% charge
    2.7k 60FPS SUPERVIEW --> 1h 10min of recording

• Secondly, I tried with another non-oficial battery which was 100% charged but when I plug it in to the GoPro and turn it on, the battery starts to decrease from 100% to 85-87% very quickly, in a few seconds. Then I start the same test:

2.7k 60FPS SUPERVIEW --> 58 min of recording | Start the test with 85% of battery as I said, and something strange happened because when the battery reached 0% it continued recording for about 10 minutes (with the official battery at 0% it stop the recording and turn off the camera).

Did you guys think that something is wrong with my GoPro Hero 6? As I said, it has less than 2 months and I only charged it maybe 5-6 times.

Regards!

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Is my Hero 6 consuming to much battery? [Test inside]

I forget to mention that:

• GPS was enabled.
  • WiFi was disabled.
  • Video stabilization was enabled.
  • Protune and rest of the options were disabled or by default.

Regards!

Highlighted
Hiker

What is the date on the battery? Does it do the same thing with other batteries?

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi,

The date on the official battery is 2017-09-18. The non-oficial don't have date on it.

What do you mean with "the same thing"? I only tested this two batteries that are what I have.

Regards!
Highlighted
Hiker

The date on the GoPro battery is fine. Anything less than a year old is fine. The camera has a battery reader built into it. It knows if you’re using GoPro batteries or not. Not sure if the non GoPro battery may have caused a problem. It would be a good idea to try another GoPro battery.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi,

I just run another test, equal to this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpfRmtiM0_A).

GoPro HERO 6 Battery official 100% charge

4k 30FPS Wide, no GPS, no Stabilization, no Protune, no nothing --> 1h 39min clicking a few times to unlock the screen.

I think that it's a good result. In that video the author gets 1h 44min and in this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYTFgmRvc7g) that author gets 1h 42min.

So I think that GPS and Stabilization are great battery consumers when you are recording, even if you record at lower resolutions like 2.7k.

Regards!

In this video I am doing a battery life comparison with GoPro Hero5 and Hero6 with GoPro brand batteries (New) to see which lasts longer on 4K video. We all ...
The battery lasted a total of 1 hr and 42 minutes filming at 4K 30FPS on a 100% full battery. This is 7 minutes longer than the GoPro Hero 5 Battery Test I did ...