Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Is it possible to use this camera as a webcam

It's kinda like asking "Can I use a broomstick as a fishing rod".  Yes, there are ways you can but it's not the best tool for the job by far and it's more work than it's work. 

You would probably have to buy $80 worth of equipment to get it to work with not so great quality, or just spend $40 on a much more suitable webcam that would offer better picture quality and better sound quality.

Highlighted
Tourist

Came here for exact same question. Too bad others are recommending you spend more money on something else , esp with all the quarantines and concerns about when more money is coming it. Reddit post and "solution" were not helpful..

A simple yes or no would have been ideal. Still unclear what the answer is.

Highlighted
Nomad

That's becuase there is no simple yes or no answer. 

If you want to plug the camera directly into a USB port and use a Webcam it is NOT possible.

If you want to use the video out on the GoPro and run it through a capture device that supports analogue or HDMI capture (depending on your GoPro) that MAY work, but it depends on your hardware and if you don't have that hardware, you will need to purchase it.

Using a GoPro as a webcam will result in lower audio quaility that most webcams, a lower resolution video signal than most webcams and up to a two second delay in the feed and possible out of sync audio.

So SHOULD you use a GoPro as a webcam?  No.  Can you?  Yes.

That's the simple basic truthful answer and I'm very sorry if it's not to your liking, but whether or not you like the answer doesn't affect the facts.

Highlighted
Tourist

I'm looking for objective data . And facts are always welcome. 

so windows 10 pro , 64 bit, , two year old Dell Inspiron XPS 9360 which has USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 port and multiple USB 3.0 ports and HDMI input via the thunderbolt connector . 

internal Camera on laptop is terrible. 

I saw the Elgato Cam Link 4K hardware could permit input but that means buying something else. Tried that , but their website doesn't work or store doesn't support payment. Also not on amazon . So that means is a bust . 

so which Logitech or other camera would you suggest ? 

Highlighted
Nomad

Laptop camera's usually are terrible, small sensor combined with cheap plastic optics.

It would depend on what you want to use the camera for.  If you just want something with good picture quality without people being able to count your nose hairs, just go for a cheap and chearful $50 webcam and use a seperate good quality microphone for audio capture.

Unfortunately I quick search of Amazon show prices of $200 for a Logitech C920 (which should retail for $80), this is probably due to a lot more people working from home and doing learning from home.  I use the C920 myself and I think the audio quality and video quality is pretty good.  The logitech software offers some good options (face tracking, automatic zoom etc) to keep you in the picture.

However they have cheaper options too.  Unless you're planning on doing some sort of high quality youtube channel upload that requires HD quality, even a cheap 720P webcam would do if you're just streaming or doing work telecons.  Remember with things like telecons and webex, the streaming quality is usually restricted, so you don't need the highest quality picture if price is a concern. 

So decide what you want your camera for, what your main needs are going to be and who your target audience is going to be.  That will help narrow down your webcam search.

Highlighted
Adventurer

C920 goes in/out of focus with me and  others I share say well the quality is aweful why I do not bother......

Logitech or logicam is a awesome camera. if asked.

Highlighted
Nomad

Well turn off the autofocus and use the manual focus adjustment.  Also make sure you're using the latest logitech software.  I think the picture quality is very good and it handles backlight really well.  

Just a thought but some smartphones support video out over USB-C....  and some laptops support video capture over USB-C.  Could be a solution right there, newer smartphone camera's are pretty **bleep** good.

Highlighted
Adventurer

with  youtube  can not do,