Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Is it possible to stop recording after a specific time?

Hey guys, quick simple question here, which I'm sure there's a quick and simple NO answer coming my way, but I was just wondering if there is an option to get the camera to AUTO OFF and stop recording and switch off after a specific period of time?

In most situations, users of the cameras are in easy to reach places, however, I'm working with some Drag Racing cars, and shooting at 4K60 and I start the cameras on the start line, the cars get where they're going in about 5 seconds, and then stop. HOWEVER, the time that it takes me to leave the start line, hop on the cart, drive around to go meet the car again is almost 8-10 mins. Hence: RETARDED FILE SIZE, MURDERS THE BATTERY FOR NO GOOD REASON and basically just a waste of everything. SO, if there's a way that anyone knows how to get it to automatically turn off lets say after 5 mins, and then switch off, that'll be awesome!

Thanks again! 

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Is it possible to stop recording after a specific time?

Hello @grandtree85600

If you were intending to turn the camera automatically off, you can do such by setting the Auto Power Off to your preferred time duration. The minimum would be 5 minutes, which means that the camera will turn off 5 minutes after last interaction. You can access this through Preferences > General > Auto Power Off . 

The Smart Remote can control cameras up to 600 feet away under optimal conditions. Hope this helps your setup. Feel free to post back for any other questions or concerns. 

Thanks, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

There's the quick-clip recording option.  You could have it record 15 second or 30 second clips. 

Is 30 seconds enough from the time you would have to start recording?  (see page 26 of the user manual)

GoPro

Hi @grandtree85600

You may use a Smart Remote or pair your camera with the GoPro App.

See if this setup works.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

yeah i got that part figured out already lol 
but the remote won't reach 1/2 mile down the track
but im open to any other solutions! 

Tourist

i'll check this out! thanks much!
Tourist

yup so i just found that, but unfortunately 30 seconds isn't enough. i just looked at a past world record pass, and even on the fastest pass, i still need about 5 mins MAX. and about 3 mins MIN.
GoPro

Hello @grandtree85600

If you were intending to turn the camera automatically off, you can do such by setting the Auto Power Off to your preferred time duration. The minimum would be 5 minutes, which means that the camera will turn off 5 minutes after last interaction. You can access this through Preferences > General > Auto Power Off . 

The Smart Remote can control cameras up to 600 feet away under optimal conditions. Hope this helps your setup. Feel free to post back for any other questions or concerns. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

yup, i completely understand the current features offered, but clearly exactly what i needed was the quick clip or quick capture option where it would record for 15 or 30 seconds then auto stop recording and then auto shut off. 

if this option were to be extended with different intervals, like 5mins or so, that'll be awesome. 
that'll be super cool if the GoPro software developers were to implement this feature with a software update on the H7B. 

I actually have a gopro that went through WAR with an import drag racing car that hit a wall at almost 200mph, completely destroyed the gopro .... yet it still comes on and works. LOL if you know someone who would be interested in using that in some kind of marketing .... hit me up! that'll be cool!