Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Is 1440p a good resolution to crop later?

[ New ]

Hello.

I am new to GoPro and video recording. 

The GoPro cloud saves video up to 1440p, so I was wondering if this was a good resolution to use? 

Is it like 1920x1440 so that i could crop the video later to 1920x1080p? Or is the width smaller (like 1440x1440) so that the video would be stretched or zoomed?

My idea on vacation is to use the cloud to back up the video so that I don’t have to worry about SD cards or phone space.

Any other suggestions?

Phil

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: Is 1440p a good resolution to crop later?

[ New ]

1440 is 1920x1440 which means tou have additional 360 lines to play with.  Its a 4:3 version of 1080

This means that when editing your footage to 1080 you crop off some of the top and bottom, but you can move the 1920x1080 viewport up and down to recentre your footage vertically.  This way you can cut out some of the sky and focus on action on the ground or track you subject keeping their vertical position centered.

It doesn't give you any option on recentering the image horizontally though.  Any of the higher resolutions would allow you to "zoom in" by cropping horizontally and vertically.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

[ New ]
It's a 4:3 format, so you have to dynamically stretch it for a 16:9 display. 1440 is good for posting to social media or if you need more vertical coverage.
Tourist

[ New ]

So why would this resolution be used for a backup?

Explorer

[ New ]
If you film in a 4:3 format, you probably want to save/store it in that format, so 1440 is what GoPro Plus uses. If you film in 16:9 it will save in 1080, which retains the same demensions.
Tourist

[ New ]

Alright thanks.

So it doesn’t matter if I record in 1080p? Thanks. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @rene81,

It would still be best to use 1440. 

But yes it doesn't matter if you record it in 1080p.

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

I would record in 1080 and upload it, or record in 4k and deal with SD card situation. Personally, I record in 4k and just bring my laptop with me, but I don't know your situation. 16:9 is the better aspect ratio to use, and will give you a better viewing experience when you go to watch the video later on your TV or computer. 4:3 will not look good. Just my opinion. I record 4k and edit it down to 1080p, which allows me to add additional stabilization and more options for recentering my shots in post.

Hiker

[ New ]

1440 is 1920x1440 which means tou have additional 360 lines to play with.  Its a 4:3 version of 1080

This means that when editing your footage to 1080 you crop off some of the top and bottom, but you can move the 1920x1080 viewport up and down to recentre your footage vertically.  This way you can cut out some of the sky and focus on action on the ground or track you subject keeping their vertical position centered.

It doesn't give you any option on recentering the image horizontally though.  Any of the higher resolutions would allow you to "zoom in" by cropping horizontally and vertically.