Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Invalid Serial Number - Hero3+ Black

[ New ]

I purchased a used HERO3+ Black from eBay and I'm trying to update the software (Camera has v1.42, updated version is 3.*).

However, when I enter the Serial Number inside the battery compartment, the serial number is not recognized.

It doesn't seem to be a traditional SN, as it starts with BAW and not "HD3....".

Any help would be appreciated. Want to update that camera so I can download files to my MAC.

Thanks,
Jeff

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Invalid Serial Number - Hero3+ Black

[ New ]

Hello @jeffb166

The DCIM folder comes with the MISC folder, and the .txt file with the serial number is found inside this folder. However if the folder is not found, or not detected, the path forward is to contact Support. It would help if you prepare pictures of the camera and the serial number that is printed on it. You can connect with the team via chat or call through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs. 

Thanks, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @jeffb166,

Thank you for considering using GoPro. We are uncertain as to why your camera's serial number starts with "BAW" as it should starts with "HD3". There is a possibility that the serial number is fake.

You can try to obtain the serial number information found in the version.txt file within the MISC folder of that camera's SD card. Just plug the camera (with SD Card) in to your computer.

I hope this helps. Should you need further assistance, contact Customer Support, https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Cheers, 

Rei

Tourist

[ New ]

If I plug the camera directly into my MAC, it's not recognized.

I reformated the card in the camera, and then recorded something.

Took the card out to a card reader and opened the card on my mac and there is no "About" folder or version.txt file.

It only shows the DCIM folder.

Any ideas? 

Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 10.48.29 AM.png
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @jeffb166

The DCIM folder comes with the MISC folder, and the .txt file with the serial number is found inside this folder. However if the folder is not found, or not detected, the path forward is to contact Support. It would help if you prepare pictures of the camera and the serial number that is printed on it. You can connect with the team via chat or call through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Marius,

The DCIM folder has no .txt files in it at all. Just the folder with any video files (see screen).

I have reformated the sd card in the camera, and reshot video to see if it pops up, but nothing appears other than the videos within a folder called "100GOPRO".

I have another camera, HERO3 Black, that does have a "MISC" folder with a "version.txt" folder that appears, but the 3+ does not do that.
I'm wondering if this is a rebuilt/counterfeit camera. :o(

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 10.42.55 AM.png
GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for posting back, @jeffb166. Have you already contacted Support? Good if you have. That way the team in charge will be able to check further on camera information, and help  with next steps towards resolution.