Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

Install super suit for Gopro 7

Hi all,
Just want to know do I nessery to buy super suit for Gopro 7? I feel a bit unconfident for the camera self, I use it for a bit under water film, just below the surface of the sea. And how do you guys clean it after used.

Also do I need take off the lens cover as gopro 6? Then install the camera into the case? I just to take off the cover, but unsuccessful.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Install super suit for Gopro 7

I've taken my HERO7 Black swimming and surfing several times without a case and have no concerns over the waterproofing. You do need to make sure the doors are properly closed, including the little button being fully popped back up into place.

With that being said, the Super Suit (with Floaty) is by far the best way to protect your investment. I've tried a third party housing (where you don't have to take off the front protective lens) but had a bad experience with the latch popping off and almost losing my camera, so I don't recommend them.

For casual use, I guess they are ok. My son has a third party housing that doesn't require the lens protector to come off, but has a similar secure latch like the Super Suit, so they are out there. We noticed that the images aren't always as good (but pretty close) and it doesn't seem to allow the water to flow off the lens as well (even when treating the lens with Clarifii or spit), but completely submerged it should be fine, even with the extra layer of glass in front of the lens. If you get a third party housing, make sure it has the safety lock and not just a regular latch.

When it comes to cleaning the camera after use in water without a housing, it's pretty simple. If you can, rinse the camera immediately after taking it out of the water. When you get home, soak the camera in clean pure water for about 20 minutes to dilute any salt, chemicals, or other that may reside on the camera and in the cracks. After 20 minutes, just rinse the camera again in clean water (distilled is best). Dry with a lint free cloth.

Finally, yes, you do need to take the lens protector off of the HERO7 Black if you are using the Super Suit. Be sure to pull out and away from the camera and then twist counter clockwise. It can be very stiff the first few times but gets easier.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]

Hi

As you said I am a bit unconfident as well about the waterproof of this camera . So I bought some suite (not from GP) and I dont have to take off lens cover. If you swimming in salty sea I think is good to clean it after by fresh water - salt is not good for any kind of stuff. But the better idea is not to risk and use some case. 

BTW: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Gopro-7-Black-water-damage/m-p/264919#/M76992

Highlighted
Explorer

I've taken my HERO7 Black swimming and surfing several times without a case and have no concerns over the waterproofing. You do need to make sure the doors are properly closed, including the little button being fully popped back up into place.

With that being said, the Super Suit (with Floaty) is by far the best way to protect your investment. I've tried a third party housing (where you don't have to take off the front protective lens) but had a bad experience with the latch popping off and almost losing my camera, so I don't recommend them.

For casual use, I guess they are ok. My son has a third party housing that doesn't require the lens protector to come off, but has a similar secure latch like the Super Suit, so they are out there. We noticed that the images aren't always as good (but pretty close) and it doesn't seem to allow the water to flow off the lens as well (even when treating the lens with Clarifii or spit), but completely submerged it should be fine, even with the extra layer of glass in front of the lens. If you get a third party housing, make sure it has the safety lock and not just a regular latch.

When it comes to cleaning the camera after use in water without a housing, it's pretty simple. If you can, rinse the camera immediately after taking it out of the water. When you get home, soak the camera in clean pure water for about 20 minutes to dilute any salt, chemicals, or other that may reside on the camera and in the cracks. After 20 minutes, just rinse the camera again in clean water (distilled is best). Dry with a lint free cloth.

Finally, yes, you do need to take the lens protector off of the HERO7 Black if you are using the Super Suit. Be sure to pull out and away from the camera and then twist counter clockwise. It can be very stiff the first few times but gets easier.
Highlighted
Adventurer

@redstoke22480

You the Owner will make that decison. If water is your passion get the suit. if you plan to do more then just water the suit isgreat to have as added security.   to clean the camera its best to read the manual on maintenance.   As  I personally  do not go  in the water like I used to so Idid not take out a extended warranty for a number of reasons , that would be your added protection as a Plus member.

Highlighted
Tourist

Took mine deeper than 10M naked. I cant recommend it, but it should benpretty waterproof for any non-diving activities.

See my video/description here: https://youtu.be/YxENChd5aXY