Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous
Accepted Solution

Important videos have merely disappeared!

I love GoPro, they've helped me a lot in the past. But I recently had the chance to do two very important things of which I would've posted onto my Youtube account and would've resulted in me recieving a solid amount of traffic and, in turn, subscribers. HOWEVER, after I got home and attempted to import the videos onto my computer, they were gone. They just up and disappeared like some mythical creature. I did some research and found out that the files are still there, they're just "invisible", so I used a program to find and extract them but they're not the same as they should be. Please if there is ANY way I could return these files back to normal, they are extremely important. Thank you.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Important videos have merely disappeared!

Hi @Anonymous, 

Thanks for posting. I'm glad to see that you were able to find the other parts of your videos, but this shouldn't be a problem with the camera and it sounds like you had to do more work than we'd like to find what you were looking for. 

GoPro cameras do something called "chaptering" in which they will cut a longer video into segments so as to guard the majority of the footage even if an error occurs during one part of the recording. For the HERO4 cameras, each chapter is about 4GB, which makes me think you are probably seeing the first chapter and then not able to find the second one in these cases. 

Looking directly at the files in Finder might make it a bit more difficult to find the files, but I think you'll find that if you used the GoPro App for Desktop and scan your GoPro folder, all the videos should be there. 

If this is not the case, I would recommend reformatting your SD card, trying to take some long test videos (over 4GB) and then try importing once more to see if that resolves the issue. You could also try running a manual update on the camera to see if that fixes any difficulty it's having in organizing the chaptered files correctly. 

Let's see how that goes!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Hiker

Hi there,

Could it be caused by virus? There are malwares and viruses that can hide or even delete files.

If your computer system is windows, you can browse to the micro sd card and on explorer choose to view hidden files.

If the directories on the micro sd card are there, copy it and rename it.

On mac you can google how to display hidden files and directories.

Hope it helps.

Highlighted
Anonymous

@dendyj138 wrote:

Hi there,

Could it be caused by virus? There are malwares and viruses that can hide or even delete files.

If your computer system is windows, you can browse to the micro sd card and on explorer choose to view hidden files.

If the directories on the micro sd card are there, copy it and rename it.

On mac you can google how to display hidden files and directories.

Hope it helps.

Honestly if it was caused by a virus, it was a virus manufactured by GoPro. This was the first time I was using my Hero 3+ Silver since doing the software update. The question isn't "Are the files still there?", I know they are, they just turned "invisible". But now I need to turn them "un-invisible" so I can properly use them.

Highlighted
Hiker

Okay, the files are there..

assuming you are using windows maybe this unhide or un-invinsible command prompt can help the files and folders visible,

Use an attrib command to unhide the folder. Step 1: open Run dialog box, input cmd and click OK to open Command Prompt. Step 2: Input "attrib -s -h [drive letter where the invisible files are]" (without double quotation marks) in the Command Prompt window and click Enter.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
GoPro

@Anonymous, 

Did @itsdendy's advice resolve the problem? When you say the files are "not as they should be," can you elaborate on what you mean by that, as well as what you mean by the files being "invisible"?

Thanks, 

Matt B.
GoPro Support Hub Moderator

Highlighted
Anonymous

@mattb wrote:

@Anonymous, 

Did @itsdendy's advice resolve the problem? When you say the files are "not as they should be," can you elaborate on what you mean by that, as well as what you mean by the files being "invisible"?

Thanks, 

Matt B.
GoPro Support Hub Moderator

No, @itsdendy's advice didn't resolve my problem. Let me lay it all out for you. I recorded two videos, turned my camera off,  went back home, turned my camera back on, saw that there were 0 videos recorded, plugged my GoPro into my computer, it also said there were no videos found. After digging around on the internet, I found out that the files are in fact on the SD card, they are merely "invisible" to the computer and to the camera itself. So, using a program from the internet, I retrieved the "invisible" files because even though they were invisible, they were still technically there and could be found. BUT, the files are of a .MOV file type and can't be played in a video player or edited in a video editor. Somehow, the GoPro improperly wrote onto the SD card or something happened when the camera shut off causing these video files to turn corrupted or "invisible". These videos are extremely important to me and I have no idea why this would happen so randomly with such a high quality camera.

Highlighted
GoPro

@Anonymous, 

I have to admit that is really, really odd. I've literally never heard of that happening before. Here's what I can think of to see how to take care of the problem. 

1) Try plugging the SD card directly into the computer and opening it up. Look through it, especially in the DCIM folder, to see if you can find the files that way and if they're in the .MOV format there. I'm wondering if they were written to .MOV on the card or if the program you used converted them to that format.

2) GoPro Studio actually converts .MP4 files to either .AVI or .MOV in Step 1 and then uses those converted files in Step 2. Technically speaking, you should be able to pull .MOV files directly into Step 2 of GoPro Studio. If you open Studio and go directly to Step 2, choose Add Media, and put in the .MOV files you were able to recover, are you then able to view them and export them from Studio? 

3) What kind of SD card were you using in the camera? Brand, class, model, etc. If you've got another card, I would try testing it out in the camera to see if it works to log the videos you take. If you're confident you've gotten everything you can out of the other card, you can also format that card and try testing the camera out with it again. Note that formatting will cause you to lose all data on the card. 

Please let us know how those steps go. Hopefully you're able to access the videos somehow. 

Best, 

Matt B. 

Highlighted
GoPro

@Anonymous, 

Just some more thoughts I had regarding your situation. 

1) Are you using a Mac or Windows computer? If it's a Mac, it could be that the files were imported to iPhoto, which would change their format. 

2) The sequence of events that I see you described are: filming videos with the camera; no videos are shown on the camera; plugging the camera into the computer didn't have a result; research and a program you used helped you to discover the files in a .MOV format but they can't be played on a media player. I'm wondering if you have certainty that these .MOV files you found are actually the GoPro videos. I'm wondering how we can be sure of this since we can't play back the videos and it seemed like the computer didn't import anything when you connected the camera. 

Sorry to split my questions over two posts. Once you post back I'll take a further look.