Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Important videos have merely disappeared!

I just had the same issue and the reason why I am here was also to find out a solution.

Here is what you should try.

1. Remove the SD card and use external card reader to open it on your computer
  2. If you are using windows, after opening the folder in your GoPro, go to  Folder options -> View -> then check the "show hidden files" and uncheck the "hide protected operating system files".

Then you will find a folder by the name ".Trashes" which is where your files are hidden.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Had a very similar thing happen to me today. So hacked off with GoPro.... the primary function of this overpriced piece of rubbish is to actually record.... and it has failed to do that. I can't exactly go back in time and re do that sweet move i wanted to capture (and it was spectacular).

I even did a test record an hour or so earlier which has written on the the sd card. but the actual footage i wanted to record did not write to the camera (despite it saying it was recording) 

Seriously gopro.... if your cameras cannot even record footage then they have abosoltely zero value despite me handing over a lot of cash to pay for it. I suppose you could blame the SD card manufacturers, but im not buying that. if your cameras dont work with the range of sd cards out there then your cameras aren't good enough im afraid. The cheap chineese knock off cameras work fine with all the sd cards out there but yours dont? seriously? spend less money on pointless marketing and more time on R&D making better products. 

rant over. im off now to plan my next sweet video which ill be recording on my camera phone. gonna get me heaps of likes. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Most of these problems are usually down to the SD card being fake. Be aware there are MANY fake cards around and all look fairly genuine, for example I recently bought a 'Kingston' 64GB class 10 xc card should work fine, BUT it isnt a 64GB card and failed tests using software freely available from the internet if you search, it is in fact only a 8gb card, but the fakers are getting clever and hack the card so that it reports as a 64GB to your devices. Using a fake card gave me intermittent problems, including video recording stopping after several seconds, making the gopro freeze and lockup, making gopro hot.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Same issue here. Bought my session in July, have recorded over 40 videos. Only got less than 10. It just loses the files for no reason. Today I did 4 videos, checked it on my phone via app, only 2 were there. Get home, connect to computer to download and wow... what a surprise, those magically disappeared. This is the most useless and frustrating gopro I have ever owned. 

Highlighted
Sightseer

This has happened several times to me, The first time I was able to see all my files on the iphoto program (I use a mac), but when I selected import, only 1/4 of the files actually imported and the others disappeared. I had a friend try and recover the files, but could only manage to recover the thumbnails of each video at a much smaller resolution. I lost all the videos I filmed that day that really frustrated me since it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I figured I must have a virus on my computer that I was unaware about. 

Now today, only 20mins ago. I decided to view my recordings via the gopro app on my phone, save the videos there for safe keeping before importing them to my laptop...As soon as I opened my camera on the app, my videos disappeared again with no way of viewing them. The SD card I am using is recommended by Gopro, a Sandisk 16gb. When I open the SD card properties, it says the files are there but I cannot see the videos.

I'm so sick of this always happening and seems like Gopro has no interest in resovling this issue. At first I thought it was just the Gopro Session being a very dodgy camera, but it seems like it happens on all camera's. I think im done with Gopro after this, does anyone know any other good quality action cams that are worth investing in?