Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Image stabilisation makes the footage jellyish

[ New ]

@lucad12314 wrote:

Hello epicpike44452,

Thanks for your suggestions.

From your video, I can see that even in good light conditions this jitter issue happens a little to you as well. Does this mean that it's like that for all GoPros?

I'd say for all cameras, not just GoPros, if you're fixed to 1/200 sec, and not using a gimbal.  Ironically, it is seen more when its brighter, because bright spots are the ones that will blur more obviously.  a faster shutter would help, at the same time force the camera to a higher ISO. 

@lucad12314 wrote:

@epicpike44452 wrote:

@lucad12314 wrote:

Hello,

I've tried with same light as the sample videos provided and with the follwong settings:

2.7k 60 fps, 1/120 with ISO 100-3200 Horizon leveling

1080p 24fps, 1/192 ISO up to 6400 no horizon leveling

The issue is still visible and I am literally just walking. In the meantime, Iàve escalated a support request trough the contact form.

I want to determine if my Camera is defective, I can't use it or if it simply performs below my expectations.

i used 1/192 sec once, on 4K 24fps ISO Max 6400 with Hypersmooth High, it wasn't good enough. i run with my GoPro 9 head mounted.  lots of jitters.

i switched to 25fps primarily to avoid trippy lights, but at the same time it also changed the shutter speed settings scale so i reset to 1/200 sec.  that small change actually made a difference, the stabilization was better.  there were still small jitters sometimes, but i don't feel the need to go to 1/400 sec just to remove them.

here's a sample on 1/200 sec going through forest trails

if 1/200 works for you, then i would also suggest taking it further with the GoPro Labs custom firmware to use the Max Shutter Angle

Hello epicpike44452,

Thanks for your suggestions.

From your video, I can see that even in good light conditions this jitter issue happens a little to you as well. Does this mean that it's like that for all GoPros?

i'd say for all cameras, not just GoPros, when fixed at 1/200 sec, without any gimbal.  ironically, it shows up more on the brighter scenes because blurs will be more obvious on brighter/hotter spots.  a faster shutter will help, but it will reduce exposure on an already dark scene, so need to allow more ISO.

that's why their latest custom firmware is a better solution with the Max Shutter Angle.  because i can set a minimum 1/200 sec to keep to my tolerable stabilization level when its darker, while letting it go to 1/400 or faster to reduce any blurring further when there's enough light.  like in this other video

Hiker

[ New ]

So, I contacted support and provided video samples. My camera was eventually replaced and I could not speak with any tech support advisor. They just took it without any question asked which in my opinion is not very good as we could not pinpoint the issue or at least determine where of what the issue was if any.

Tested the new camera locking at 1/120 shutter with different framerates 4k at 24/30/60/120 all with ISO 100 to 1600 and both with and without horizon levelling. Problem is still evident. Footage is shaking like the dtabilisation can't make it. I am beginning to think that this is an issue with all GoPros in general and I am a little disappointed. However, probably leaving the shutter in auto should work fine unless in low light situations.

@aragon1006 wrote:

Sure! Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @lucad12314

Thanks for the update, we'll have the case checked.

We'll post back for updates.

Thanks!

Ej

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

We have released an update for the HERO9 Black.

See https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

Let us know how it goes with the new version.

Thanks!

Ej