Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Image flickers on the screen

[ New ]

Good morning,
Suddenly the GoPro Hero 9 started flickering along the edges of the rear screen.

Flicker is visible both in the image and in the recordings.

I tried to format the camera to no avail.

How do I open a support ticket?

Backpacker

Re: Image flickers on the screen

[ New ]

If it was a screen issue, it would just be visible on the screen, not the recording.  Can you upload a video to youtube with the issue and post the link here?  Just in case there's something to be seen in the video that we can provide a quick easy fix for.

Hiker

[ New ]

I did not explain myself.

The flicker is visible in the recording played on the gopro

If the recording I watch it on the computer there is no flickering, then it is a screen problem

Backpacker

[ New ]

Since we cannot "See" the flickering, its hard to say what the issue is.

the rear screen is only a preview and not really indicitive of the recorded image you are going to get.  So flicker could be seen on the rear screen and not the file itself if you're filming indoors under LED lights for instance as the HZ refresh of the lights could be clashing with the HZ refresh rate of your rear screen.  Until you upload a video though showing the flickering on the screen, no one can say for sure.

If it is a HZ issue, then replacing the camera won't fix anything as your indoor lighting is causing the issue.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Me pasa algo similar
https://youtu.be/FTSBxAUKv-I

Qué puedo hacer?

Backpacker

[ New ]

So I wouldn't call that a flicker, a flicker means the image turning on and off or appearing to.  In this case I would say the image vertically jumps so the top part of the image is displayed on the bottom part of the camera screen while recording.  

I would try manually re-installing the firmware on the camera to see if it fixes the issue.

If that doesn't fix it, then I'd contact GoPro directly as this very well could be a faulty device.

Sightseer

[ New ]

How can I re-install the firmware? 

Thank you

Backpacker

[ New ]

Here's a video showing how to do it for a Hero 8, for a Hero 9 the process is the same, you just need to download the Hero 9 firmware instead of Hero 8 firmware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kVTYclGorU

In this video I show you how to manually update the firmware on your GoPro. This video was made using the GoPro Hero 8 however the exact same procedure appl...
Hiker

[ New ]

I tried my cell phone to take the gopro screen, but the cell phone camera is not sensitive enough to pick it up.

It is a kind of flickering of the image from light to very light dark which creates a tremor effect

Backpacker

[ New ]

Sorry @enigmisth  Someone else hijacked your post, so I was replying to them.

Is this visible in your recordings when you record with the GoPro?

Do you have LED lights in your house?

Hiker

[ New ]

No in the recordings it is not present, you can only see it by looking at the image on the gopro especially framing light backgrounds like a white wall ... from the PC the defect does not manifest itself.

I also thought about the lights, but it also happens when you look at the screen in the open air.

Backpacker

[ New ]

In that case it may be time to contact GoPro directly and see if customer service can help you.  Make sure you mention it happens outdoors as well as indoors.

Hiker

[ New ]

I opened a ticket, let's see when they call me back