Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Image distortion (pixels)

I have a problem uploading videos to social media.Until my device the image result is perfect.If I upload the video to facebook or youtoube the result will be blurred and with image distortion by any portable device and if I upload it.If I upload the video from a laptop or desktop computer then I need to increase the resolution and if I increase the bit rates then I will get a good result.What's the point of not being able to upload such a camera from portable devices?I have solved all the solutions and I have tried different sd cards ..I am uploading from other drone cameras in high quality there I have no problem with gopro the result is disappointing.

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Image distortion (pixels)

What app are you using to upload video's or photo's?  Both YouTube and Facebook have very heavy compression that often results in much lower quality video.  If you are using an app that compresses the video or photo's to reduce data being used, then this results in double compression which will be even worse video and photo's.

This isn't a problem with the camera, it's a problem with how the video's and photo's are being uploaded.

Highlighted
Hiker

On mobile devices I use the gopro and Quik application.If through these applications I upload a video on facebook (1080p / 60) 16.9 with a duration of less than 1 minute I will get a good result.(720p max).If I upload a video larger than a minute, the result will be disastrous.

On the desktop there it's easier.There I use the filmora and VSDC program. I export my videos in higher resolution and higher bit rate.

My question is how to fix it?Why should there be this difficulty of compressing files that makes it difficult for the camera operator to be afraid of whether he will upload a fast video or a story on social media results that will be disastrous?

I also use other cameras from different companies and drones that record high quality video (4k). Why is there no file compression problem?

Please I am waiting for your solutions and advice because the problem does not only concern me but thousands of other users of a valuable camera ..but they are afraid to upload a favorite story and especially get a disastrous result.

Thanks
Highlighted
Nomad

Please note that QUIK for mobile was discontinued about 2 years ago. So you should only be using the latest version of the GoPro App. QUIK was very old and relied on very heavy compression for making clips less than 60 seconds.

Also note that the GoPro app is a "lite" editing suite for making short clips and is geared more towards social media users who only want to upload a maximum of 60 seconds. It takes into account that people may be mobile, the types of data plans they have and will try to make a clip that is heavily compressed to save data. Professional users will want to edit on a desktop PC and upload from there to get proper high quality.

This is not a design flaw or problem with the GoPro App it is simply for use by people on the Go who want to make clips to upload quickly without consuming their data plans.  

I also use other cameras from different companies and drones that record high quality video (4k). Why is there no file compression problem?
Mainly because different camera's and especially drone photography rely on high quality images and video and the user base is much different in nature.  They also tend to use much higher quality platforms for editing.

Please I am waiting for your solutions and advice because the problem does not only concern me but thousands of other users of a valuable camera ..but they are afraid to upload a favorite story and especially get a disastrous result.
I'm not sure about the validity of your claim. GoPro has actually done the market research on their users and actually asked "thousands of users" what they want from their program. They do this several times a year through app user group feedback and surveys. How the app is designed is based upon that direct feedback of those users. The consensus seems to be that people who use the app just want to make short quick clips without putting a lot of effort into it to get results quickly and this comes at the sacrifice of quality for longer clips. Those that want much higher quality clips and much longer clips tend to use a different software suite completely or edit in a shared platform space (Adobe for desktop and mobile).  Also the app has to cover a multitude of devices, some new, some old and still offer the same all round basic functionality.  Not everyone has the lastest and greatest devices or can afford one, however they still need to be able to edit their GoPro footage on the go.  Based upon the amount of users and the hardware they are using while mobile also determins the kind of rendering and output the app will do.  

If you think the quality of the app footage is not suitable for your use, I would simply use the app to download footage from the camera to your mobile device.  Then "save" the footage to your device (this will be a copy of the full quality gopro file without compression).  You can then edit that file in a different video editor of your choice that can export at the quality that you want.

Highlighted
Hiker

I've tried several times on android applications..but when I grow up the video time the result is not good I also tried to save with cart reader on my mobile device and then edit the video. Until my cell phone, the result is excellent. I also tried with hvc the same result The theme is the file compression that suppresses the effect when the time of the video grows over 60 sec.

I hope that in the future the developers of gopro will improve the time of 60 sec because I am saddened by the limitation of the time of action when we want directly from our mobile phone to share it quickly a video of a personal moment with our friends and must stop at 0.60sec. Thank you for your advice and for your time.