Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Illegal behaviour by GoPro support

[ New ]

Hello,

Many of you know me around here. I have been a happy GoPro customer for many years.

I just talked to GoPro support in Spain because I need a VAT invoice for my Hero9 purchase (and a tax exemption as I am an intra-community trader). They refused to send me a VAT invoice stating that they will not change an existing receipt. That effectively means GoPro is refusing to issue official EU VAT invoices, as the checkout form does not include a field for VAT ID. That is completely illegal.

I then asked to return my camera for a refund and the GoPro representative (I can share his name privately with GoPro moderators) hung up on me.

If this is not solved I am taking action.

Case number 08314971

Best regards.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Illegal behaviour by GoPro support

[ New ]

Hello @kajuna. Tax exempt orders cannot be processed via a gopro.com online purchase since sales tax is automatically included with the price. Due to recent system and process limitations, GoPro’s policy does not allow issuing a refund when requested after the sale. It is suggested that you contact your State Department of Revenue to determine the process or eligibility for a refund directly from the state.

I was also able to locate an open ticket from your most recent contact request with our Support Team. Our team is currently working through a volume of contacts so our response time may be slightly longer than usual. If you already have submitted a contact request, rest assured, they'll contact you as soon as possible.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

[ New ]

Que te tardó desde que pediste la camara y te llegó? Yo tambien estoy en españa y me gustaria saber el plazo.Gracias 

Nomad

[ New ]

3 días

Adventurer

[ New ]

if its not on gopro.com site, and clearly not posted. a promo code. no mention at all of tax exemption.    Good luck.

Untitled.png

Their terms can be read here  https://gopro.com/en/us/legal/terms

3. Sale of Products and Services

A. Products

Descriptions: we do our best to provide accurate information on our product pages – including product descriptions, prices, shipping estimates, etc. However, we reserve the right to correct pricing errors that may inadvertently occur (which may require us to revoke an offer). Prices and availability are subject to change. Your order is subject to cancellation by us, in our sole discretion

Payments: generally, we do not charge your payment method until after you order has shipped. However, we may pre-authorize the total purchase amount (including applicable taxes and shipping costs) with your authorized payment method once when you place your order. You cannot make changes to your order after it has been placed.

Risk of Loss: All purchases of physical products are made subject to a shipping contract. Risk of loss and title for purchases pass to you upon our delivery to the carrier.  You must notify us within 21 days of the date of your invoice or acknowledgement if you believe any part of your purchase is missing, wrong or damaged.

Shipping, Returns, Manufacturer Warranty: please see our Shipping Policy, Warranty and Return Policy for further information about purchasing our cameras, mounts and accessories. As described in the Return Policy, if you are an EU resident, you also have a legal right to withdraw from this contract without giving any reason within 14 days of receiving your purchased goods.

B. Subscription Services

If you purchase a subscription service from GoPro (“Subscription”), then, in addition to these Terms, your Subscription is also governed by the GoPro Subscription Terms and Conditions (“Subscription Terms”) and any additional terms and conditions presented during your Subscription purchase. The Subscription Terms will govern to the extent of any express conflict with the Terms herein.

Nomad

[ New ]

Not related. GoPro need to abide by EU laws like everyone else.

Nomad

[ New ]
Update: I just got an email with the RMA instructions. Strangely, the camera is listed as BOILERS (ROW, CE, ORIGIN CHINA) CHDHX-901-RW 1

Hope it all goes well.

The problem of the EU invoice remains
Hiker

[ New ]
I think and hope that this is just a glitch in a system - some misinformed employee gave You wrong answer... because I was thoughtful enought to ask about VAT invoice prior to purchasing from GoPro website. I was given information, that it's not a problem and i'm supposed to get in touch with support after i buy it and they will get me VAT invoice after. This is what I am going to do, because i just bought it.
Hiker

[ New ]

Which number did you call to get in touch with customer service? I would like to return a product as well and I am having great difficulties to contact them :/

Hiker

[ New ]
I was thoughtful enough to ask about VAT invoice prior to buying from GoPro website. Was given information to contact support after the purchase and they will get me VAT invoice after. This is not like all other companies solve it, but indeed strangely there is no VAT number field in the order form.
Nomad

[ New ]
I asked them to call me with this form https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

It took me 3 or 4 days and dozens of attempts until they called. I had to try on multiple browsers and in incognito mode, as the form seems to crash on many situations. Chat support never worked.

The catch with returning the Hero9 is you lose the payment for the 1 year subscription. I just want to return the camera and purchase it again. 1 because my unit is faulty, 2 because I will try to introduce my VAT details as part of my address so the standard receipt they send is closer a legal EU invoice.

I'm sure this is all a bunch of misunderstandings by the person that helped me and their chain of command.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @kajuna. Tax exempt orders cannot be processed via a gopro.com online purchase since sales tax is automatically included with the price. Due to recent system and process limitations, GoPro’s policy does not allow issuing a refund when requested after the sale. It is suggested that you contact your State Department of Revenue to determine the process or eligibility for a refund directly from the state.

I was also able to locate an open ticket from your most recent contact request with our Support Team. Our team is currently working through a volume of contacts so our response time may be slightly longer than usual. If you already have submitted a contact request, rest assured, they'll contact you as soon as possible.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Nomad

[ New ]
Thank you @aenriquez . What would be the correct way to order and receive both the VAT Invoice and the VAT exemption GoPro must provide to intra-community operators?

I returned my order so now I can do things your way.
Adventurer

[ New ]

I bet you have to go to a store.  that is the problem.   want things tax free good luck.

Nomad

[ New ]

Ha! So my purchase got held by UPS as it it had too many batterires in it...Ok my bad and it was shipped back GoPro by the courier and I was told I would get a refund so I could re-order....then....nothing....for days....silence....nada.....so GoPro have my money and my camera....maybe that's also illegal?

Adventurer

[ New ]
Nomad

[ New ]

The invoice I got had VAT on it.

I am in Spain as well.

Support are EU wide, I dont think they reside in Spain as such.

Camera took 3 working days to arrive.

Nomad

[ New ]

@ fishycomics....No issues, I understand the battery story, it was an error on my part BUT the unit has been shipped back to GoPro, they got it back.....I don't have my money back....

Nomad

[ New ]
It's got VAT, but if it does not contain the seller and the buyer tax details it is not a valid invoice. It's just a receipt. Since they are charging VAT and are selling from the Netherlands, they are required to provide a valid VAT invoice when requested. I'm sure they will fix this at some point (they were doing it right last year). Until then, anyone that intends to use a GoPro for business will have a problem