Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: If the soft rubber on the camera gets scuffed is the camera no longer waterproof?

I also have the same tear at the same location.

I always try to take the camera our carefully.

Judging by the number of cases, it seems like a design flaw rather than a user mishandling.

Yoram

Highlighted
Explorer

Re: If the soft rubber on the camera gets scuffed is the camera no longer waterproof?

First, I think it's important to not miss what was reported in response to this by @mattb, "small cuts like that to the rubber material should not affect the waterproofing of the camera."

In 10 months time there have been around seven people who have mentioned this issue. I'm not saying that there aren't more, however to say, "judging by the number of cases" actually seems to imply that it doesn't happen very often and is more likely due to mishandling.
Highlighted
Adventurer

My on'/off has a hole,  over the rubber and I feel water can  get in and where it can go in the camera somewhere ?     so  Ifeel it all depends where your tear is at.    if asked I will  simply leave as is and   keep away from the eliments then be sorry.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I'm experiencing this! So frustrating..

Highlighted
Adventurer

Sorry to hear

Highlighted
Backpacker

ok, someones misquoting here. I saw a reply from a GoPro representative saying scuff & tears are ok & won't cause it too leak

Highlighted
Adventurer

[ Edited ]

@mattb wrote:

Hi again, 

Sorry for the late response here! I was able to check in further about this and confirm that small cuts like that to the rubber material should not affect the waterproofing of the camera. The frame that the camera is mounted into is a tight fit. This kind of tearing can happen if the camera is pushed out forcefully or unevenly. It's important to carefully push the camera out, with both sides of the camera coming out evenly so as not to get one of the corners caught on the lip of the frame. 

I hope that helps as a tip and also assures you you can still use your camera in the water!

called a bump

All depends if we had some one like you to tear open their outter shell we all would now.   scuffs are  nothing, it's the tear we need to be careful about, if it is near a seam or  mode and shutter switch I worry. why I never dunked my cam. Saltwater can eat away if improperly not cleaned  all the time.  maintenenace is needed  some soft oils or soap is awesome to keep the seal soft like vasoline wiped on and wiped off its about the film ,not the glob.  harsh detergants or soaps be careful.       goodyuck

Highlighted
Sightseer

Where can we take this to get fixed?