Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous
Accepted Solution

If the soft rubber on the camera gets scuffed is the camera no longer waterproof?

The camera has a soft rubber coating, which got a cut right next to the shoot button when I was trying to remove the case. Does that mean the camera is no longer waterproof?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: If the soft rubber on the camera gets scuffed is the camera no longer waterproof?

Hi again, 

Sorry for the late response here! I was able to check in further about this and confirm that small cuts like that to the rubber material should not affect the waterproofing of the camera. The frame that the camera is mounted into is a tight fit. This kind of tearing can happen if the camera is pushed out forcefully or unevenly. It's important to carefully push the camera out, with both sides of the camera coming out evenly so as not to get one of the corners caught on the lip of the frame. 

I hope that helps as a tip and also assures you you can still use your camera in the water!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: If the soft rubber on the camera gets scuffed is the camera no longer waterproof?

Hi @Anonymous, 

Would you be able to post a picture of the cut for us to see? That might help. How exactly did it get cut when you were removing it from the frame?

Highlighted
Anonymous

Same thins happened to my gopro. The rubber coat near the shutter button had atear when i removed it from the case. Its a small and shallow tear. But would it affect it's water resistance?
Highlighted
Anonymous

The tear with frame on

IMG_3377.JPG
Highlighted
Anonymous

Where the frame digs into the soft rubber while taking camera out, which can cause a tear - in my case did.

IMG_3375.JPG
Highlighted
Anonymous

Shallow tear in the rubber coating. So the question is, is the camera still waterproof? And is there a way to fix it/ prevent the tear from getting bigger? Rubber glue, etc.?

IMG_3376.JPG
Highlighted
Nomad

I believe it is an over-molded part, and I doubt they are relying on the over-molding itself to provide the waterproofing. There is likely hard plastic underneith that prevents water from entering the camera. If it were my cam, I wouldn't hesitate to continue using it underwater.

It is an action-cam after-all, so I would expect it to be able to take a beating and still perform.

Best of luck.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi again, 

Sorry for the late response here! I was able to check in further about this and confirm that small cuts like that to the rubber material should not affect the waterproofing of the camera. The frame that the camera is mounted into is a tight fit. This kind of tearing can happen if the camera is pushed out forcefully or unevenly. It's important to carefully push the camera out, with both sides of the camera coming out evenly so as not to get one of the corners caught on the lip of the frame. 

I hope that helps as a tip and also assures you you can still use your camera in the water!