Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

I want to update my Gopro Hero firmware 3 but it won't register the update when I put the sim in?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: I want to update my Gopro Hero firmware 3 but it won't register the update when I put the sim in

Be sure you are putting the files WITHIN the UPDATE folder onto a blank SD card. For HERO3 cameras, you DO NOT put the UPDATE folder onto the card. Format you SD card in your computer so that it is blank. Download and Extract the UPDATE.zip folder to your computer. Open the UPDATE folder and copy the files. Paste these files onto your blank SD card and then Eject. Insert the card into your camera and then power on using the front Mode/Power button.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: I want to update my Gopro Hero firmware 3 but it won't register the update when I put the sim in

Be sure you are putting the files WITHIN the UPDATE folder onto a blank SD card. For HERO3 cameras, you DO NOT put the UPDATE folder onto the card. Format you SD card in your computer so that it is blank. Download and Extract the UPDATE.zip folder to your computer. Open the UPDATE folder and copy the files. Paste these files onto your blank SD card and then Eject. Insert the card into your camera and then power on using the front Mode/Power button.
Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you Daniel, it worked! I’ve been trying to do this for 3 days. I lost all hope last night then you posted this. I have just connected both the app & the remote! You’ve saved our trip to Mount Hotham.
Legend, thank you!
Highlighted
Explorer

Awesome, glad you got it worked out. Have fun on your trip!
Highlighted
Sightseer

I just found this and had the same question. I had been copying the entire folder onto the micro-sd.
Highlighted
Sightseer

I have the same problem. I've tried all the suggestions on these posts. I copy update files (which I've downloaded from gopro)  to the root directory of my hero 3 (not in a folder named update) and it keeps bringing in an old update file from 2011.

Highlighted
Explorer

What do you mean? The creation date of the files are 2011, or just one of them. Specifically, what are the names and creation dates of the files?
Highlighted
Sightseer

Yes sir it worked!!!!!