Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

I regret spending $$ on this package.

[ New ]

After 1 day with this toy.

1. The new cover design is a pain to use, mainly because it must be constantly opened to recharge the battery. It also "pops off" all to easily and I can't imagine it will have a very long life. It's no wonder 3rd party replacements are available.
  2. Battery life is appalling. Can't do much about it, but it's terrible, especially on the more advanced settings.
  3. First time I used it with battery fully charged it discharged to zero and simply would not re-charge. I removed battery and reinserted it again. Then it took another charge and seems to work for the moment.
  4. The iPhone App is terrible. I mean it is appallingly bad. Firstly, it seems to have been designed for an 10 yo. who wants to post Instagram/FB videos of cats exploding with feeble themes and appalling music with no discernible intelligent user input. My Story indeed.
    1. It is impossible to download a big SD card to an iPhone, because of the appalling GoPro battery life and WiFi requirement. USB connection for charging apparently kills WiFi, so re-charging multiple times appears to be required.
    2. When downloading multiple files, if an out of space error or GoPro flat battery condition is generated, the iPhone App hangs and must be manually crashed - really impressive boys, software development by 10 year olds for 10 year olds.
    3. It is impossible to reverse the "Highlight tag" on a video, having experimentally tagged one, a function with no obvious utility.
    4. Adding multiple stickers overlays them all in the corner. That is just retarded and demonstrates how bad the QA is.
    5. In an classic piece of broken UI design, the "Adjust" and "Stickers" icons are off screen without a scroll indicator that more options exist.
  5. I tried to use the old Quik app on Win10. Quik dutifully downloads the files and then tells me that my PC cannot display HEVC video (a provably wrong message) and then decides that "mother knows best" and hides the files so I cannot manipulate them - so even this option is unavailable to me.

So, the video quality seems smooth and good, certainly better than my Hero5, but honestly, I am not seeing any compelling reason not to put this on eBay tomorrow.

(I'll cross post this)

Adventurer

Re: I regret spending $$ on this package.

[ New ]

So you  been with GoPro  and  I hear what you're saying:

No. 4  4 about the gopro App and stickies,  you can press again on the stickie to   place the overlay on the next corner, to adjust all four or so correctly in the order you line, 

No. 1 Yes totally agree  GoPro could have made a  cover like the Ulanzi G8-8 and Ulanzi G8-10, they also could have  put a tab on the  hinge area, Myabe we'll see again an newer bat door design but not till the hero 11. they do this   model change each three years it looks like.

It's funny , that you bring up some good points but many here on the forum  only  post their issues, not  the place they hang within a day the topic is  answered by a few  fan boys wait you'll see Irixman, danierl... etc, that try to say you're wrong,   we gopro do not want you to experience  troubles, etc..  and nothing will everget done.

keep it, sell it tell it, hope the enxt camer works out for ya.

FISH

Nomad

[ New ]

Re: 4.  Yeah, that's intuitively obvious, not. It does work though, in a slow tedious way. After saving it with stickers, the file picture is black, so after I save them all with stickers I'll have no idea which is which :(

I tried putting my finger on a sticker and dragging, you know, like the object it is, but alas, the intuitively obvious doesn't work.

The video quality is good, like I wrote a big improvement from the 5. The App is junk though for my use cases.

Nomad

[ New ]

It gets worse. The more I touch this the more useless it is.

The File Info only displays the date. What sort of moron only shows the date without the timestamp on a set of sequential videos?  And in an act of divine enlightenment the same retards have decided that the filename isn't useful either.

I have no way of easily determining if the file sort sequence is even correct.

As a software engineer with decades of experience at the very highest levels, I am generally appalled that this crap can get out. I understand why though, and it's the reason I've retired - to wit, smart arse millenials with inflated evaluations of their own limited skillsets.

Adventurer

[ New ]
Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Nomad

[ New ]

to point 2: I read more often that the battery life would be bad - my battery lasts around 40 minutes at 4K60FPS with a high data rate. I think that's pretty neat. Other action cameras do not last longer than 20 minutes ...

Adventurer

[ New ]

as we had this issue with smartphones, took over ten years to  get a longer bat life.

Nomad

[ New ]

You seem to have misunderstood a few things, possibly because of language complexity.

I have a new iPhone SE II. Hardly an old iPhone.

I only watched half the video ... slow internet here in the outback.

The door is designed to solve the waterproofing problem. What percentage of GoPro users require this capability?

I have connected to a USB charger literally hundreds of times. After the first discharge, this camera failed to charge. Removing and reinserting the battery had the desired reset effect. Time will tell if this is a hardware/firmware issue or a one-time event.

I know how to turn down the screen and in general I run at 33% or less on every battery device I own.

WiFi download speed from the camera is ca. 5 min/GB. Good luck downloading a 64GB (or 128GB) card on a single camera charge.

When I plug my GoPro into a USB power source, WiFi transfer isn't possible. Am I missing something or did you just not understand what I wrote?

I am not suggesting doing Instagram "this way or that way", I am pointing out that the entire application process flow and the "Story" concept are targeted at trivial videos of the "social media" type. That really isn't disputable.

I didn't mention Cloud Storage, not sure why you brought that up. It's not relevant for me.

Again, you failed to read my observation. An action is possible which cannot be reversed. The principle of action reversibility is fundamental to software design for the same reason that it is on a light switch. But, you "have no idea", right. ;)

I may watch the rest tomorrow ...