Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

I need help exporting full videos off my gopro max as i can only get the first 8:52

[ New ]

Can anybody help me export my footage off my gopro max as i can only get the photos and the first 8 minutes 52 seconds of any video. i have tried uploading directly from gopro to my plus account, transferring to gopro app on my phone and using the sd card with my pc and none of these methods have worked.

Thanks in advance

Backpacker

Re: I need help exporting full videos off my gopro max as i can only get the first 8:52

[ New ]

It sounds like you're only copying the first video file from your max instead of all the video files.  Don't forget, the GoPro breaks up your video into several segments, this is called file chaptering.  So a 24 minute video would create roughly 3 x 8 minute video files.  You can then join these files together in any video editor to create one long unitterupted sequence.  So make sure you are importing all the files and not just the first one.

Hiker

Re: I need help exporting full videos off my gopro max as i can only get the first 8:52

[ New ]

Hi @irishmanpdx 

I'm guessing this "chaptering" is by design?

Or will it get an update so the post-production in video editing sofwtare can be minimized a bit?

We use the timecoding effect in Premiere to have a count up clock for long videos that are chopped up to show only the highlights.

And to be honest this extra step (i.e. adding two+ video clips and ensuring the timecoding spans multiple clips) might not be a big deal whatesoever as we haven't even tried it yet.

Just curious though because the Fusion didn't have this chaptering thing.

BR,

JP

Backpacker

[ New ]

Yes, chaptering is by design, as mentioned, it's an advantage and helps protect your footage.

No, I doubt it will be removed as not only is it for footage protection, but even the apps are set up to recognize this 4GB file size.  So even though with the GoPro labs firmware running on the Hero 8, whereas you can increase the file size limit, it may not be recognized by the GoPro app as a result.

I'm not sure what's going on with your Fusion, but I own 2 GoPro Fusions and they have always created chaptered files at the 8 minute 52 second mark approx.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @irishmanpdx 

Upon further investigation the Fusion Studio app did recognize the two 7:00 min videos and put them together and exported as one 14:00 min file and I didn't realize it had done that, so nothing out of the ordinary there.  I have a lot to learn.

Now am I missing something with MAX?  It does not appear that Player or Exporter will recognize the chapters are parts of the same video segment and export them as a single file.

I'll figure out how to make the timecoding thing work in Premiere so only a minor setback in the progression from Fusion to MAX.

I don't see where it was specifically mentioned chaptering is by design or where it's an advantage and helps protect data earlier so not sure how I could infer that, but the help article was clear in making those points.

But that's okay I'll pick up on your subtle hints soon enough as I get up to speed ;)

Backpacker

[ New ]

The GoPro exporter for Max is pretty limited, it's really only a file convertor at best.  The GoPro Player is also limited in what it can do as it's currently still being worked on.  However fear not friend as file merging is on the ticket for them to tackle toughly (yes, try saying that 10 times fast).

Lots of things don't make it into the manuals or aren't put at the forefront of the GoPro support page for various reasons.  Here's the info on File Chaptering:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-Camera-File-Chaptering-Information/ta-p/390210

Other smaller things like "remove the battery when hooked up to an external power supply" get mentioned in depth in some support questions but don't get their own fancy page.  So learning comes from experience which is good and bad in a way.  Good that you have the experience under your belt, bad in the sense that if you're a newbie, you have to keep digging to find the answers you need.

Now coffee is calling my name..............

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @irishmanpdx Smiley Happy

Your post confirms what I've gathered over the last few weeks as I've leaned into the GP Support Hub.

Effectively using this resource can be a bit daunting when you're on the run all the time trying to stay utilized.

Is the Facebook MAX Group also a place to find good information?  How does it fit into the scope of support?