Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

I have footage that goes from normal to choppy in and out. The audio stays the same.

All most like slow motion to normal speed in and out when playing in QuickTime. The picture show the dotted line in QuickTime that is not typically showing. Also seems to be playing in 480p also. Can you help? I do not want to have to delete my footage.   

IMG_0076.jpg
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: I have footage that goes from normal to choppy in and out. The audio stays the same.

Learn how this player works. Why delete footage? It's just a player. Use a real NLE to edit your footages.
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: I have footage that goes from normal to choppy in and out. The audio stays the same.

NLE? Any suggestions? I not trying to edit, I'm just trying to play back footage. The problem may be me not updating before fliming. Have you seen that before?   

Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]

First to be sure what you mean; your problem is the graduate line under the timeline?
If yes, Move cursors to ajust playing speed. I don't use QuickTime player, but generally this appears with a framerate > to 60.

NLE (NLES) Non-Linear Editing System: Magix Vegas Pro, Adobe Premiere, ...

Highlighted
Tourist

Yes sir, I have tried moving the cursors to adjust the play back speed. And yes, it has solved the slow motion issue. But the choppy issue is the same. Also most like the video is lagging in and out every 3 seconds. I have tried playing through VCL, and I received audio but no video. I have googled the issue to research similar issues. What I received from the search is the GoPro topic of preforming a Malware update to the camera. My fear is;  If the update was not preformed before recording, is the footage wasted?  I do appreciate all your replys.  

Highlighted
Adventurer

choppiness  sounds like the puter.     

Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]

What settings did you use? 4k? HEVC? Hypersmooth?

- If your computer isn't 4K/HEVC ready, then lag come from playback, not from footage. Maybe a too slower CPU, maybe a lack of VRAM, maybe a too slower Drive.
- If Hypersmooth is On, some frames drop sometime due to stabilization computing (or something like this), but not a 3s lag. This issue is saved in the footage.
- If you try to directly read from the microSD card, be sure the Read Speed is fast enough. Also the speed of the Card Reader. Prefer an USB 3.0 port.
- If the Write Speed of your card is to low, maybe the GoPro can't save file fast enough and cause this lag (i doubt).

First, check the MediaInfos of your footage, you'll see framerate, bitrate and codec. Report them here.
Next, edit it to output a more lite video file: keep framerate but reduce resolution, bitrate, export as h264, and try to play this one.

Highlighted
Nomad

Oh, and the high framerates can "flood" a slow computer, so it can't display/decode each frame fast enough, so it lag. The time that the computing overtake the current frame.