Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

I feel deceived by GoPro on several levels. Webcam issues, functionality, no sd card again...wtf?

[ New ]

I'm a GoPro owner/user for over 10yrs.  I still have my original HeroHD (which will appear in my upcoming full GoPro History and company review video on my Youtube Channel shortly).  I've owned a myriad of GoPros, but currently have retained four units...HeroHD, Hero5, Hero8 w media mod, and the 9.

I think something is plainly obvious...GoPro is in financial struggle.  It's my opinion this product was rushed to market, to meet a deman within the company for an influx of cash for this quarter and final quarter earnings.  Going back to the Hero8, I attended SEMA (as every year), as well as CES (as with every year) and I was made a pretty big promise from GoPro at the 8 launch.  We were going to see new add ons, forward screen, media mod, etc.  So I commit to purchase through a registration at SEMA 2019, to show the ROI of the SEMA show, in terms of conversion.  The 8 is shown with an SD card, normal box accessories, etc.  I recieve the 8...no SD card.

I use the 8, and frankly the 8 is what sets me up for the disappointment with the 9.  The 8 seems well thought out, the touch screen works well, the hypersmooth is amazing and when the media mod FINALLY releases, I grab it immediately.  Truly an impressive pair, though I continue waiting for the screen.  

Now, I see the 9 go through a rapid launch sequence and I get met with, what strikes me, as a disaster.  First one must commit to the subscription, which effectively isn't free, it's a 49.00 add on, as the GOPro 8 was always available at 300.00.  A lot of marketing double and triple speak here, talking about 449.00, and free subscriptions to replace your GoPro.  Very little mention of the additional costs to replace said goPro (99.00 for the 9).  So, this is essentially a 49.00 step upward....so be it...I have the screen, webcam capability, more options, etc.

I order the 9 and guess what...no SD card again.  I see consistent responses across the internet of people not receiving the SD card.  Two years in a row, not receiving what is clearly shown in marketing materials and ads.  Out of the box, I get repeated freezes from this camera and have to pull the battery to reset.  Webcam function is in beta stage and is laggy, to the extend it's unusable and I run a premium pc build.  A 90.00 logitech camera works superior in comparison.  The battery door nearly takes my finger nail off to unlatch.  I allow my girlfriend to try, and low and behold her fingernail is indented by the process.  The rear touch screen is extremely unresponsive at times, requiring I tap over and over again.  I update the 9 through the app, hoping to solve these issues, but it does not.

I truly think that GoPro needs reviewed by the Consumer Financial Protection Agency, to investigate the possibility of broad scale deceptive marketing practices.  I also think that GoPros financial position, falling stock price and retraction of scale are all indicators of the company attempting to slow the sinking ship.  Q2 losses of 22mil, make me think GoPro is attempting to prop up its Q3 reports with a hastily released product, and to lure investors with a large scale spike in GoProPlus subscribers.  In addition, GoPro's site seems to imply if you cancel this subscription you'll be charged full msrp of 449.00 on it's website, though speaking with GoPro customer care, they imply that's not the case.  I think a savvy youtube channel, or individual consumer, could light a fire within the company by working to steer govt agency attention to the potential business practices and violation of what I feel is UCC standard.

Now, I guess I will continue working to see if I can get these GoPros to function normally as webcams.  The wave is comin GoPro...you'll see.  You're not taking care of the people that took care of you.  When GoPro IPO'd, people stepped up when GOPro was 100mil in debt.  We don't forget.

Tourist

Re: I feel deceived by GoPro on several levels. Webcam issues, functionality, no sd card again...wt

[ New ]

Reviewers almost all seemed to gush over the Hero9.  I buy one--my first ever GoPro--and then see a sh*tstorm of issues posted in here.

Anyway, I received my Hero9 this afternoon.Long day at work,so I barely got to play with it.  IQ seems legit for what I was shooting indoors, although there seemed to be a noticeable difference between halogen and LED lighting.  (Better IQ and WB with LED.)  Battery seemed to be draining at about 1% per minute of power on, recording or not, but that is limited observation.

As far as the micro SD card, mine came with the free card; however, it was very small and loose in the box.  The cardboard backing was literally just a little bigger than the micro SD card.  It would be easy to miss if it slid under the flap of the box. I imagine would also be easy to dop or misplace in a flow of hurried packing.  GoPro should def tape the thing to the packaging of the camera.

Tourist

Re: I feel deceived by GoPro on several levels. Webcam issues, functionality, no sd card again...wt

[ New ]

No, given the issue of not getting it last year, I was very thorough and careful with the box...it wasn't there.  

Trust me, I'm dedicated to the GoPro brand, and I think they've changed the world in many ways, but I'm not going to be a fanboy with kid gloves on....they're shorting the people that made them the brand they are today, and it's the worst kind of treatment, when you have a loyal, repeat customer fanbase.  GoPro's marketing people won't even respond to your comments on Facebook if you have issues.  They mistreat their loyalists and it's going to cost them dearly.

There is no question, they've masterfully got a well leveraged product that people often want; so send those GoPros to influential youtubers and they'll gush over it, just to be on the mailing list.  The reviews were incomplete, in just about every circumstance.

Of COURSE the stabilization is good...it's been good.  Yes, now it's even a little better.  It's bigger...so what...the HeroHD was considered compact and it was in a big waterproof housing...the 9 is still small by that standard.  These are easy, gimme style fluff pieces.  The real review is...the gen 5-7 chassis was improved upon, then the 8 came out...different overall "chassis", but non-removable lens...why...to encourage the GoProPlus of course.  People were mad though...so they re-assessed...how do we give them what they want, and STILL grow this GOPro plus base that we repeatedly pitch in every investor meeting...ahhh, I know...FORCE them to be members or make them pay a penalty by not doing so.  A LARGE percentage of people will forget to cancel, and this time next year, the cash flows.

Not saying your first GoPro being a 9 will bite you...it's well over a decade of growing from what they've learned but....looking at it from a unit to unit perspective...this 9 takes a step backward...it's a 90% finished product.

Tourist

[ New ]

Oh, I don't doubt the card was left out of your package, or even wiggled out during transit if the shipping box wasn't 100% sealed.  Like I said, it was barely bigger than the actual micro SD card, and they're small.  

The wording and billing of the $349 package is a little confusing, to avoid saying "misleading" as a negative.  My bank account was charged $318 and then $49.  I'm fine with that, as it saved a few dollars because the subscription was not taxed.  I know I'll have to cancel if I din't see value in the subscription enough to continue next year.  

I bought the 9 instead of the 8 mainly because of the bigger battery and the removeable lens cover.  Next was the fact that pulling stills from video should provide better results, just going by stats on paper.  The reason I bought GoPro instead of a cheaper alternative was mainly for the image stabilization.  

Hopefully I have an overall good experience with the 9.  I'm just probably using a basic set of features, but I don't want bugs like lockups to keep me from having a readily useable and reliable camera.  We shall see...

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @knightdrivetv. We checked your order and we see that it included an SD card. Some users found theirs inserted in the case or the box. The SD card comes in a small plastic envelope/container, loose, and may have moved inside the package. If this is not the case, let our Support team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs know. They will assist you with the next steps. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Yup, I returned my GoPro Hero 9 Black today, constant freezes after recording / startup, had to pull the battery to reset it, my PC simply would not recognise the camera no matter which USB port I tried (and I tried all of them, and it's a $2.5K system, not some cheap box) the battery life (despite their claims) is absolutely awful, I can literally see the battery percentage ticking down while in the menus (and this is with front screen, GPS, voice control etc. all off).

But the kicker was the image quality, unless it's a blazingly bright day, the image quality is a huge disappointment. It's also slow, take a picture with in Super or HDR mode and wait at least 3-4 seconds for it to process, in this day and age that is unacceptable for an expensive device like this.

My last GoPro was the Hero 3, that had major issues too, kept turning off for no reason, and it wasn't even hot (a common complaint).

I REALLY wanted to love the Hero 9, but it was a massive disappointment, that's it for me, I will never buy a GoPro ever again, been burned twice now.

Tourist

[ New ]

I see, well that's very interesting.  It comes in a very basic box, with a few blown plastic shock absorber packing material pieces and the GoPro box itself.  If it's so small it can be missed, then it certain would've easily come out of the crevices of the box also I'd imagine.  Since you were able to check that order, I'd also like you to check my 8 order as well.  Maybe that one escaped as well?

Inevitably, I continue to support GoPro, as I've just ordered the 9 media mod and flip screen for my 8. 

Unfortunately, the 9's front screen has proven to be very well intended but in reality, pretty useless.  The latency of the image on the small screen is distracting and the fact that it's such a small portion of the actual image, it doesn't assist with any "framing" at all.  If you can see your head, then you're in the picture, but this is little more than if I'd just aimed a GoPro at myself to begin with.  "Framing" is the ability to position yourself on thirds or to frame seperate focal points in the image...this is quite impossible with the small screen on the 9.  That being said, over time I've always had a "feel" for framing myself without the use of a screen and done quite well at it.  

I feel the GoPro team has had good intention for these improvements, but internal issues within the company have clearly led to a product that just isn't ready for release and has some clear functionality issues.  I firmly believe this misstep is due to GoPro trying to boost investor confidence with better quarterly outcomes vs last year and better projection figures.  The touch screen is absolutely horrible...let's be honest.  I have a 5 and an 8 side by side with the 9...literally night and day difference.  How can GoPro act as if these failures aren't real?

My decision to keep and further invest in the camera, is solely so that I can spread consumer awareness about the product through my various social media outlets.  GoPro needs to face this and be honest with its dedicated customers, like myself.  We come back, repeatedly and buy products...we don't deserve to be lied to and misled.  If I buy a GoPro that says webcam on the side, I shouldn't have to go to a facebook group to download some beta software and roll the dice to see if it works; this is deceptive practices and I fully intend to raise the issue with the Federal Trade Commission.  GoPro doesn't have my back, so I guess I don't have yours either anymore.

Tourist

[ New ]

@dirkthedaring GoPro can do better, but internally they need to make some serious decisions about their future and which direction the company is going.  It's time for change inside and if you ask me...you gotta start at the top.

GoPro

[ New ]

We can check on it for you, @knightdrivetv. We are unable to pull an order for the HERO8 Black though, that is using the email address on your Hub profile. 

The front screen on the HERO9 Black has different options for display. Among them are the Actual Screen and the Full Screen. See if this has not been explore yet. Swipe down on the rear screen, tap on the screen icon and select your preferred front screen setting. 

Tourist

[ New ]

@mariustanya Thank you for your help.  I will try that option and see if it is more effective for me, and add it to my review currently being shot/edited.

Would you like to add any comment on the webcam functionality/latency and lack of clarity on the box that Windows users may be negatively affected, as they are still in beta phase?  

My 8 was purchased via SEMA registration at the GOPro booth.  I am not aware that I used a different email, but may have used a company email last year, associated with a small social media marketing company I sold.  I meet and talk with GOPro representatives at SEMA and CES almost annually, since 2010 or so, and look forward to doing so in 2021....hopefully...though CES is out of the cards already.

Hiker

[ New ]
Agreed, but I’m out. Done.
Hiker

[ New ]

I think after receiving my Hero 9, I might also be leaving GoPros now as well. I was hoping that this one would get over some of the issues some people have highlighted before but I don't think so.

First, I didn't update and tried it as it shipped. The audio adapter worked with it but the 'improved' stabilisation was not there. Once I updated the firmware, I lost the ability to use the adapter but stabilisation facilities were there. GoPro have said that this is temporary, but following the difficulty getting an adapter for over a year and media mods for sale/not for sale/for sale again makes me wonder what temporary actually means.

The second issue I feel with this camera is the colour profile is 'wrong'. I tested it with GoPro colour in auto white balance and it was just wrong. My face looked like it had been plastered with makeup and was plastic. Skin tones are off. I spent 6 hours trying to find out what was going on with the colour; especially as I was wearing a green shirt that had appeared as blue in the GoPro video. I played around with hue, saturation, colour temperature an although I could improve it, it never really got back to what I would call 'neutral'. This is the colour profile from GoPro themselves and is supposed to work straight from the camera. This same profile is seen on the Hero 7 which I have and the 8.

The third issue I have is the detail in the image is smeared and blocky on small things. At least with stabiisation switched on. While out with it, I videod a field and looking at the footage when I got home, I felt that the grass looked smeared. (As it does with the colour of skin, like a 'beautifying effect') I focused in on the grass and was horrified at just how blocky it looked and smeared. I put it down to the image stabilisation messing it up. (at least I hope so)

So today, I went out and used the 'flat' profile. The colour still looks off with skin tones to me.

So, no audio adapter with a 'promise' from GoPro, poor skin tone, blockiness on detail at least with image stabilisation .......

Next, I am going to try and video with no stabilisation to test whether that stabilisation messes the picture up.

Then I am going to do a 'feature' video with it.

So in all, I have had it. A £425 camera that needs an £80 media mod for sound with that colour profile doesn't do it for me. It seems that GoPro are focusing on the 'features' at the expense of picture quality.

One thing that some may like is if GoPro actually 'featured' a few colour profiles in the menu to fix that awful GoPro skin hue. Just moving the temperature doesn't fix it, it just turns more blue or orange. Maybe it's time for some profiles?

In any case, I think my GoPro days have passed because I do feel let down and have been with them since the 4.