Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

I cnnot find switch in Quik app to turn on spot metering on my GoPro4 Hero4 Session

[ New ]

I turn on the camera & pair in the app.  Go to Time Lapse mode,  Select the gear icon in lower right corner.  It brings up a menu but there is no spot meter item anywhere on menu.  Looked down through other menu items but no spot meter switch found.  Website says my GoPro Hero4 Session should have this feature.

Backpacker

Re: I cnnot find switch in Quik app to turn on spot metering on my GoPro4 Hero4 Session

[ New ]

Spot metering is considered a "protune" settings via the app.  GoPro had to remove the "protune" settings from the app due to an ongoing lawsuit.

Tourist

Re: I cnnot find switch in Quik app to turn on spot metering on my GoPro4 Hero4 Session

[ New ]

From irishmanpdx's message, it sounds like I cannot use the spot meter feature from the app.  Does anyone know if there is an alternate way to activate it?

Backpacker

[ New ]

I would contact GoPro directly and keep posting here about any updates on this.  The issue also occurs with the GoPro Hero 5 session and GoPro had to release a "GoPro Labs Firmware" update for the GoPro Hero 5 session.  This enabled people to use QR codes to adjust things like spot metering and volume control for the beeps.

GoPro may or may not release a labs firmware update for the GoPro Hero 4 session, it depends on how many people are still using the camera and cannot access settings due to the removal of the Protune settings from the app.  

GoPro are also getting around this issue by releasing "Open GoPro" which allows 3rd party developers create apps for controlling the camera with limited access to video and audio.  However this is currently only available for the Hero 9, but no doubt GoPro will introduce this for other models, whether or not they'll introduce it for a model as old as the GoPro Hero 4 session is a question only GoPro can answer though.  New Firmware takes money and time to develop, test and then submit for approval (FCC approval if it involves any wireless communication) and GoPro have limited resources in this dept.  

It may be worth writing to the creators of this software

Camera Tools for GoPro Heros | ToolsForGoPro.com

They don't support the GoPro Hero 4 session as far as I can see, but if you write to them (and enough people do) they may consider including it in their line up and they may have protune settings available (since they are not the ones currently being sued, they can include it).

Hope all the above information helps.