Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

I can't play the video on VLC and other players after soft update

[ New ]

Hi, I cant play vids from my gopro hero 7 black after update. Files before update are named GX010001 for example and i can't play them correctly (just voice) After update the files are named with GH01......and they are ok. Can you help me to recover damaged files?

Explorer

Re: I can't play the video on VLC and other players after soft update

[ New ]
The files with GX are HEVC video while the GH are mp4. It isn't because of the update, your computer just isn't able to play HEVC. You can convert the files using handbrake and you will be able to play them. For more information see these articles.
https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/how-to-convert-gopro-hevc-videos-to-h-264-using-handbrake

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/hevc
Tourist

[ New ]
Thanx for that! It's interesting, cause the files GX.. have .mp4 extension. I will check it.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi again!

I tryed with HandBrake and the movie is playable, but jams badly and there is no "hyper smootht stabilization" at all. I can play still these GX files on my GoPro, but I really need to fix them on PC.

Thanx for any help!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @staromiej.  Your computer must meet the requirements for playing back HEVC files. Please see the link for details. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Hello @mariustanya. Makes sense to me. I use win 7and on my friend's pc with win10 works perfectly. Time to change OS... Thanks a lot!
GoPro

[ New ]

You are welcome, @staromiej. Happy to help. Feel free to post back for any other concerns or questions. Hub members also share what works for them and their recommendations. Best regards!