Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

I can’t connect to the app

[ New ]

I can't connect to the app and get my videos off of the GoPro.  The app keeps asking me to connect to some GoPro connection instead of to my personal WiFi (which my entire house is running on) -- and it cannot make this connection and constantly fails to upload the media.  How do I fix this, and why is the GoPro doing this?? Why does it just not work on my home WiFi like every other gadget I own? This is my first time using this camera and trying to access my video footage, so I'm not sure of what the problem is.  I have to say -- this camera is not very user friendly in ANY aspect, and I'm deeply disappointed.  I'm hoping that once I can overcome all of these different hurdles, it will be worth the hype.

C964E7AA-E5CB-46CA-ADF1-EEA88912953F.png
Backpacker

Re: I can’t connect to the app

[ New ]

I can't connect to the app and get my videos off of the GoPro. The app keeps asking me to connect to some GoPro connection instead of to my personal WiFi (which my entire house is running on)

The reason your APP is asking to connect to a GoPro connection is because that's how the app "talks" to your GoPro.  Your GoPro has it's own independent WiFi connection which it uses to directly connect to the app for file transfer.  

-- and it cannot make this connection and constantly fails to upload the media. How do I fix this, and why is the GoPro doing this??

See above for why it's doing this.  As for how to fix it, you need to let us know what steps you are taking to connect your phone to the app.  What phone you're using etc.

Why does it just not work on my home WiFi like every other gadget I own?

Due to the fact it's an action camera that supports direct WiFi connection, it is not a "smart device" that uses your home WiFi to operate.  For comparrison, a Canon Rebel 7ti also transfers files directly to a phone using a WiFi connection, however it does not connect to a home WiFi network.  

This is my first time using this camera and trying to access my video footage, so I'm not sure of what the problem is. I have to say -- this camera is not very user friendly in ANY aspect, and I'm deeply disappointed. I'm hoping that once I can overcome all of these different hurdles, it will be worth the hype.

The app walks you through step by step how to connect to your camera.  However it's unknown what the issue may be with your connection as it's unknown what steps you took and what phone you're using.  I would try removing the app from your phone, reboot your phone.  Re-install the app and then try connecting to your camera again following the on screen instructions.