Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

I am having trouble getting my 4k movies to import to imovie. Quicktime won't play them either.

Good morning,

I have tried to find a solution to my problem by Googling it...and have had no luck. We have had a GoPro 8 black for about a month now, it's our first GoPro. We have been successfully creating YouTube videos with it...until yesterday. We changed the settings to 4k, and now iMovie won't import the videos. Here are the things I have tried:

Import to iMovie - unsuccessful, says "Import Failed: The following clip encountered an error during import: Clip Name: GX010111.MP4"

Import to whatever the normal mac app is - unsuccessful. It only shows up as a grey icon and does not play

Retrieve from GoPro with Image Capture - successfully got it to the desktop, but Quicktime won't play it. Quicktime says: "QuickTime Player can't open "GX010112.MP4"."

Playback on the GoPro itself - works perfectly

I'm just really confused. I also realize that I may have posted this in the wrong board...I don't know which one is better.

If any of you have an idea...please share.

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: I am having trouble getting my 4k movies to import to imovie. Quicktime won't play them either.

Your clip was most likely recorded as a H.265 HEVC video.  It's possible that iMovie doesn't support this type of file.  You should do a net search on getting that type of codec to work with iMovie.