Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Hypersmooth and slow swing brings short freeze

Well if i use hypersmooth and stand at the same place and do a slow swing around i get short freez in the Video .. please fix that fast , Videos looking bad with this errors ...

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hypersmooth and slow swing brings short freeze

Hello Everyone, 

We got news! There is a new firmware to be released in early December that will correct this issue. Please watch out for updates through https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/Software-Update-Release-Information. 

Thanks, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Hiker

Here is a sample ... I did not stop while i turn the cam

https://youtu.be/QUW33NMwhFg

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @dennobundy

Thank you for sharing. How does the camera fare (the Hypersmooth or Standard stabilization, that is) when the camera is in forward motion? The stabilization feature is designed to create more smooth video captures as the camera moves along, as opposed to panning. But we will also share this feedback to the team to see if there is more that we can learn about the case. 

To verify, your camera is updated to the latest firmware, and you are using a recommended SD card like those found on this list, right? 

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Hiker

Gopro know this so its nothing to do with SD cards or anythign else. Its how hypersmooth works for now. Its great at stabalising forward moving motion in a strgiht line (or to a limited amount of degrees turning/panning left or right). As soon as you turn/pan more than the 10% cropping zone there is always a stutter as it releases into freely panning.

Deffinately think some update is required to provide a better option for smoother panning with hypersmooth on. Perhaps another option like pan mode where hypersmooth lets go quicker or buffers and ignores horizontal correction if panning goes past 10% mark... not sure how it all technically works but Gopro know what I mean.

In any event something needs ot be done to fix it otherwise its a one trick pony really. Try it on a gimbal with hypersmooth ON and pan a 360 at various prgrammed automatic turning speeds. It does not matter the speed it seems as at the start of the turn and at the end stop point of the turn there is that stutter. Sometimes randomly during the turn also.

Shaky video in a stright line is dead but smooth video with shaky turns is alive and well... so alive it ruins any handheld shot where you pan.

Highlighted
Explorer

Turn off stabilization if you are panning. Hypersmooth stabilization is not meant for scenic shots, plain and simple.
Highlighted
Adventurer

[ Edited ]

Panning:   cw or ccw (clockwise or counter clockwise)  gives you t he Stutter,  how about up  and down does it give you stutter?  if not then we know my next suggestion?

Yeah  I guess we all need to manually set each chot up and that is what an action camera is about.

Highlighted
Hiker

Yes the same occurs in a vertical pan.

"Turn off stabilization if you are panning. Hypersmooth stabilization is not meant for scenic shots, plain and simple." is a little short sighted I think and the opposite of what a mostly Auto Action Cam should do. Let me consider that in reality...

Ready... set... action! All going great... I am forward following you in a stright line... no wait, hey don't turn, I can't go that way! CUT! Now go back and do that 180 turn again so I can film it again with the stabalisation off this time. We will cut to the 2 seperate shots in post instead of having a fluid action scene whenever I have to turn around more than 3 degrees.

Wait my mistake... Action only means fast bike riding, skiing or something like that... not walking pace (use a iphone for that).

Highlighted
Nomad

Swift, realize that gimbals don't pan to intent as well as some may like.   They will look smooth doing that though!   There are no perfect gadgets. 

Having said that, I'm sure that GoPro continue to be away of our interests re panning.   

Just note (again) that many other cameras including some well regarded DSLR rigs don't pan well either when "stabilized".   

Mainly, for now, note the issue in your mind and shoot with that in mind.  

Like how if it is time to do one candlepower and starlight only shooting for hours...a GoPro is not the camera you should lunge for as your one and only option for such shooting.