Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hypermooth issues while processing trees, leaves and small objects despite bright sun

[ New ]

What did you do with the camera, starting with version 8, that it began to handle stabilization worse if there are trees and foliage in the frame in 4K60fps with basic Hypermooth without any boost. Protune enabled.

It looks live very oversharped and overcontrasted.

Do you have any specific logic for processing them? Even with a high bitrate and bright sun, it looks terrible.

GoPro 7 camera did it much better with lower bitrate

GoPro

Re: Hypermooth issues while processing trees, leaves and small objects despite bright sun

[ New ]

Hello, @sunnydusk2040. We'd always like to make sure that we isolate the issue. Is your camera updated to the latest firmware? Are you using a recommended SD card

It would also be greatly helpful if you can send us a sample file that shows the issue that you described above. This way, we can have a better look at what is going on. Thanks!

Backpacker

Re: Hypermooth issues while processing trees, leaves and small objects despite bright sun

[ New ]

hi @sunnydusk2040 

I just hope you do not look to the youtube upload when you are talking about this.

here are two crops from my 4K monitor.

the same frame from youtube 4K  and played directly on my Mac - at second 3...4

here is the youtube:

https://youtu.be/ohHhmv96CHE

as youtube uses heavy compression, the pattern like surfaces will be blurred....

the diferences are obvious 

youtube

Screenshot 2020-10-11 at 22.08.14.png

direct played on my Mac

Screenshot 2020-10-11 at 22.09.27.png

Adventurer

[ New ]

OMG firmware is the New Wild wild west CURE!

Hiker

[ New ]

Look at any video where there are trees at 4k60fps.
On my 4K monitor, the leaves turn to mush and look blurry, even when shooting motionless.
Does your support team have 4k monitors? There is a feeling that they are not there, so you do not pay attention to the picture quality.

I think Hypersmooth is to blame, which you squeeze all the juices out of.
The GoPro 7 had a really sharp image at a lower bitrate.

Hiker

[ New ]

Yes, I know that Youtube is very poor at handling GoPro videos, even in high definition.
YouTube does not work well with h.265, so you have to work with h265
I would not have paid attention to this if my 2 camera was not the Fuji XT-3. And the fuzzy trees really annoy me.

But I liked the picture on GoPro 7.

This picture looks blurry on my minitor.

Trees.png

Hiker

[ New ]

Oh, i just watch original source in h265 (not rendered in h264) and it is really better. Hmm

Why 100mbit from GoPro 8,9 rendered worse that 62mbit from GoPro 7? 

Backpacker

[ New ]

...  my old Mac (sold yesterday) has a generation 5 i5 processor, was not capable to play h.265 regardless of the player I use, including Quik - just because of the intel quick sync chip 

so I was using h.264 whenever I could ... just to see the videos directly fresh from the camera.

4K 50(60)fps is h.265 of course.

I'm waiting for my new Mac with a gen 10 processor to arrive.

I was thinking as well about these conversions that have a cost - quality of the image.

the more compression or conversions the less quality.

to preserve the image quality (colors/contrast/sharpness/etc) I always had to find the right flow that includes calibration of the monitors/postprocessing tools/etc... photos and video... professional cameras, phones, action cameras...

Nomad

[ New ]

I have here:
https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero8-vs-Hero9/m-p/784982 
put a video online in which I make a comparison between Hero 8 and Hero 9 with Hypersmooth, horizontal alignment and subsequent stabilization with ReelSteady.
Maybe I don't have the right monitor (can only FullHD) to recognize the blurring described, but the whole thing looks neat to me.

Backpacker

[ New ]
Backpacker

[ New ]

forget the above post....

I think this is it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDnADcyh5Uo

(your URL is somehow wrong)

Hero 8 vs. Hero 9Ist die Bildqualität der Hero 9 besser oder schlechter als die der Hero 8?Und ist Hypersmooth 3.0 der Hero 9 wirklich besser als die Bildsta...
Nomad

[ New ]

Wrong:

community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero8-vs-Hero9/m-p/784982%C2%A0

Korrekt:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero8-vs-Hero9/m-p/784982

I dont know why it is wrong (with %C2%A0 )

But it is this Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDnADcyh5Uo

Hero 8 vs. Hero 9Ist die Bildqualität der Hero 9 besser oder schlechter als die der Hero 8?Und ist Hypersmooth 3.0 der Hero 9 wirklich besser als die Bildsta...
Backpacker

[ New ]

9 is better, more details

Inked8vs9_LI.jpg

Nomad

[ New ]

With the Hero 8, you could perhaps increase the ISO (but risk more image noise) or fix the shutter speed, leave the ISO (max 1600) and reduce overexposure with an ND filter - but then you have to lighten it in post-processing.

I think the image quality of the Hero 9 (my Hero 9 with FW 1.21) is absolutely fine!

Backpacker

[ New ]

agree!