Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hyper smooth

[ New ]

Could someone tell me if I can use hypersmooth 2.0 on GoPro 8 with ND filters. I heard the images have to be super smooth to use hypersmooth so the blurred images the ND filters create render the hypersmooth useless. Is this correct?

thanks

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: Hyper smooth

[ New ]
Does hyper smooth work well when the shutter speed is low? It think this is a better way of framing the question?
Thanks

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Backpacker

[ New ]

If the image was already "Super smooth" you wouldn't have to use Hypersmooth at all.

Hypersmooth can create some blurring due to a double frame effect when used in low light conditions (filming in low light indoors or at night), certain things can compound this such as the way the camera is being held at the time.  For instance people may put the camera on a selfie stick and hold it vertically and this will cause the double frame blurring due to footfalls, straight up and down relative movement etc. When using a selfie stick it should be held more horizontal than vertical and having a counter weight on the end to balance with the camera will eliminate most of these issues.

Using ND filters and shooting in bright outdoor sunlight shouldn't have any negative effects on your picture using hypersmooth providing you have the camera properly set up for the shooting condition (frame rate, iso, shutter etc.)

Tourist

[ New ]
Does hyper smooth work well when the shutter speed is low? It think this is a better way of framing the question?
Thanks
Backpacker

[ New ]

it's going to depend on what you're filming and the amount of light visible.  I have filmed @ 24FPS and @30FPS with hypersmooth with no issues.  However if I was filming at night I'd film at@ 60FPS with additional lighting or use a gimbal and disable hypersmooth.

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks heaps for the answer, as you can tell I’m a newbee. Last question is, if I use ND filters does hyper smooth work fine at slow shutter speeds?
Thanks again
Deb
Backpacker

[ New ]

"Using ND filters and shooting in bright outdoor sunlight shouldn't have any negative effects on your picture using hypersmooth providing you have the camera properly set up for the shooting condition (frame rate, iso, shutter etc.)"