Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Huge lens distortion in Hero 8

[ New ]

Hi,

Is it normal effect? I I face that in photo and video in all modes.GOPR0019.JPG

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: Huge lens distortion in Hero 8

[ New ]
In both pictures the camera is not looking straight at the object. There is a upward and then downward angle to the camera. In the second photo you can see that the bottom is also not aligned. There isn't an issue with the camera. Optical illusion created with the blue box and angle of the camera combined with a wide angle lens and digital dynamic stretching.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

@superlight00628, GoPro cameras have fixed lenses resulting in a fish-eye effect on the footage. You can set Linear in the camera's Digital Lens (formerly known as FOV) option to minimize the barrel distortion and capture a straight horizon with a more natural perspective without compromising image quality.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks, but this footage was made in Linear mode. I'm not talking about fih-eye which in "normal" effect. I'm talking about " geometrical distortion in RIGHT CORNER which cannot be "fixed". O tried different angels and modes and I face always the same. 

Please look on a different footage. I uploaded it and put a rectangle so you can understand what I'm talking about.

Let say 3 corners are acceptable (90 degrees). But the upper right is realy distorted.

Test footage.png

Explorer

[ New ]
Linear is accomplished with a dynamic stretch and reframe of the image. The lens itself is fixed wide angle. Some distortion is to be expected. If your question is out of concern as to whether or not your particular camera is defective or not, it does not appear to be any different than any other wide angle lens action camera.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Man that glass is not straight.   following the topic.

Explorer

[ New ]
In both pictures the camera is not looking straight at the object. There is a upward and then downward angle to the camera. In the second photo you can see that the bottom is also not aligned. There isn't an issue with the camera. Optical illusion created with the blue box and angle of the camera combined with a wide angle lens and digital dynamic stretching.