Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: How to work with 1080p 240fps

I have a great deal of camera and encoding knowledge, i also work on many bespoke systems at server level in my day job. That said i my home PC is now a few years old but i am using (without getting to boring) an Intel i7 16gb DDR4, ssd boot drive 12500rpm main drive and just a USB3 drive for storage needs. I ran into horid playback with my now 4 day old Hero6 using HEVC files and tried a few options before i realised it was because i was running a developer beta version of windows 10 and it throttles GPU and codecs being unregistered.

Once i went back over to Windows 10 Pro things got alot better, so if you are willing to spend 5$ and spend a little time you will have a very workable solution with zero hit on quality. Obviously a decent modern PC is a given, so at the moment here is what i do.

Download the encoder called V6 from here, it requires a donation of $5 but is very very powerfull. 

http://hdcinematics.com/wnorton/2017/10/16/v6-intro/

Once this is installed just convert your footage to Prores 4.2.2 LT is fine is required reconform from 240fps to 23.976fps for the slomo conversion.

While its converting download Davince Resolve from here https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

Its free an industry standard Video editor, again i have been using this software for years on my other Cinema cameras.

If you need more help with encoding steps give me a shout.

Stephen

Highlighted
Nomad

Same as PROXY for ADOBE Premiere Pro CC 2018 on MAC computer and is garanty to work for any computer.

Highlighted
Nomad

More Detail Tutorial on HOW to USE PROXY Workflow for any computer to EDIT 4K Video Footage.

Highlighted
Nomad

The proxy route is all well and good ONLY if your current editor supports the HVEC file for the final render.

Highlighted
Explorer

It's all good information and thanks for sharing, but some clarification (or at least an asterisk) is needed when stating, " garanty to work for any computer".

There are system requirements for running Adobe Premiere Pro
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

And it should be noted that Adobe Premiere Pro is a pretty pricey option that does have a bit of a learning curve to master.
Highlighted
Nomad

It DOES support HVEC the Premiere Pro CC 2018 automatic install the CODEC from ADOBE into your computer and open up my footage you need to link to proxy than render and hit the play button or glide the player you will see how smooth your footage will perform on your screen.

Highlighted
Nomad

Well for PEOPLE who want FREE STUFF... sorry even you have the most expensive system when you final upload it to youtube it will look like CRAP, why most people from YOUTUBE when they teach how to edit they only USE Adobe Premiere Pro there is some reason why they use ADOBE doesn't matter if you own a PC or a MAC.

What You See Is What You Get... I understand Noel Fustration I seen lot of first time GoPro Users sale their HERO5 or HERO6 on everywhere Facebook Marketplace and OfferUp because after their first experience with the Camera they don't know what to do with their FOOTAGE than they don't have any clue about EDITING because they saw all those videos marketing with awesome videos on youtube base on that they made their decision to become GoPro User.

And some people here including myself we know how to edit videos but for those who don't you have to learn the hard way go on youtube watch and learn.

Good Luck. 

Highlighted
Nomad

@alexl8465 Not to be rude, but do you have any idea what codec prores is, and what Blackmagic DaVinci resolve software is?

Adobe Premiere Pro CC is all good and well but it costs a lot of money.

The only way your footage will look bad is if you have an inability to process it accordingly.