Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Explorer

Re: How to work with 1080p 240fps

Plenty of computers can't handle editing 4K/30 h.264. Does evey camera that records in 4K have to spell that out to the user as well? In fact, some can't even handle 1080p smoothly or effectively.  The editing software is responsible for informing the user what the system requirements are, not the device that records the video.  The camera works fine, you are responsible for what you do with the captured video.

GoPro does provide a solution to those not willing or able to get the proper equiplment for video editing.

1) Use handbrake to convert to a usable format

2) Upload to the GoPro cloud (you can do this via auto upload from the camera, from the desktop Quik app, or the Mobile Quik app). You can then download the video to your computer in a usable format

Not taking the responsibility to do a little research before purchasing something is a you problem.  The information about HEVC (h.265) recording and system requirements for editing is readily available from multiple sources.

As far as editing software, download DaVinci Resolve or VSDC video editor.  Both are free.

Tourist

Backpacker your comment is rediculouse and false. I have done plenty of research afterwards and do now understand the PC is not the problem so much as the software. My PC is perfect for handeling the videos BUT I need Adobe Premier Pro 2018. Aparently 2015 which I have does not work with it. GoPro Studio does not ever work with it. It's just a mess. You should keep in mind not everyone purchasing a gopro is a video edit professional some of us like myself are new to this and this little info would go a long way the give a heads up about software needed ect. Say what you want but it is what it is. gopro are p#ssing people off and this will for sure affect my nect purchase. Not a gopro fan at all just because of this.

Explorer

High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC), or H.265, is a video compression standard designed to substantially improve coding efficiency. You seem to think it is something GoPro came up with. All video is heading in this direction and has been since early 2016. With Apple now pushing it, it is becoming the industry standard. You can edit HEVC with other editors other than Premier Pro. Not using HEVC for 4k/60, 2.7k/120 and 1080/240 would have been a mistake as h.264 takes up roughly TWICE the amount of storage and bandwidth. When compared to H.264, HEVC/H.265 delivers a significantly better visual quality, when compressed to the same file size or bitrate. It is your comments that are ridiculous and false.
Hiker

2015 is 2 years ago. Ages in the fast moving tech world. 

If you did reseach, you would'nt be ranting.

So Gopro (and every other camera mfg)  should drop 4K/60fps because you can't use it? Read up, tonnes of workarounds, event listed on the Gopro site. 

Tourist

Ok Daniel valid point, but many people like me new to this still have the issue and with many worakrounds being out there they still dont work. Its very frustrating and not even my local computer shop can help with this its just something that you would expect to work when you buy it from a normal persons point of view you do understand that? Could you maby tell me why Gopro studio can not open these files and see them as audio only? I have and WIN10 - ACER ASPIRE R7 laptop with 8GB DDR3 RAM 1TB hybrid. Surely Gopro studio should be able to play HECV files on my laptop dont you think?

Explorer

@no66

I agree with everything you wrote except 2015 was 3 years ago ;)
Explorer

GoPro discontinued GoPro Studio awhile back. The change to HEVC recording was probably one of the reasons for this. My guess is that they didn't want to put in the resources to continue developing a software that was already on life support and overwhelming customer support. Since better free PC and MAC editing software already is available to the market, they have shifted the focus to mobile editing, which is what the newer generation of action cam video producers are using.
Explorer

BTW, I totally get your frustration. Other than when you take demeaning tones in your comments, I don't have issue with what you are expressing. I'm just trying to give a little clarity.