Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

How to work with 1080p 240fps

[ New ]

So I have a video on my Hero6 saved at 1080p 240fps.  I'm wondering how to best get it into Adobe Elements so that I can edit it / take advantage of slow motion.  1080p 120fps worked fine, but the 240fps mp4 file does not import correctly (Adobe thinks there is no video, only audio).

Because GoPro Studio is discontinued, I was thinking there might be a way to do it in Quik, but Quik doesn't seem to be designed for this purpose.  

Any suggestions on this?  Maybe I should just stick to 120fps

Thanks!

Nomad

Re: How to work with 1080p 240fps

[ New ]
I spent quite a bit of time on chat with GoPro tech support today for this very issue. They tried to tell me that my video card doesn't support 240 fps. I contacted NVidia (video card mfg) and they told me it absolutely IS capable of 240 fps video editing. So.... gopro now said they'll have to send it to level 2 support and get back with me. Seems odd that they would release a product without software to take advantage of the new features. I specifically upgraded from hero 5 to hero 6 for the faster frame rate / slow motion editing. I'll post back if I hear from them.
Anonymous

[ New ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhmj9gJD7wo&t=156s

this video help me out i got it in adobe premier .. it works..

Tutorial on how to import Gopro hero 6 black footage into adope premier. 4K 60fps and 1080p 240 fps GXO files. It was a 5 day tutorial for me on how to impor...
Anonymous

[ New ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhmj9gJD7wo&t=156s

it worked for me.. subscribe it you need more help new videos every day gopro hero 6 support

Tutorial on how to import Gopro hero 6 black footage into adope premier. 4K 60fps and 1080p 240 fps GXO files. It was a 5 day tutorial for me on how to impor...
Anonymous

[ New ]

Ok first off you are the best for finding this gem.

I have been filming content since last Friday in 4K60fps and I have so much raw footage to edit and have been unable to do so.

It seems neither GoPro Quik or Adobe Premiere Elements 15 lets me import the HEVC h.265 (.MP4) files created by filming in the highest setting.

It seems that both companies were not ready for the Hero 6 Black.

Anonymous

[ New ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEoFg75rWt0 108op 240 fps. upload to youtube then take it off and it edits..

detroit post production figured out a few way. check out there channel and subscribe

Anonymous

[ New ]

I hope they come up with a solution fast cause this is not what i'm intend to do for the rest of this camera's lifespan... first upload, then download it again, piece by piece...i mean there must be an easier way right?

anyhow, i tried many of the options, if not, all of them in premiere pro... none of them seem to read out the 1080P240fps as a video file but as a sound file. what could be maybe the issue is that if you go to properties of a certain video (1080p240) tab: details, frameheight and width doesn't show... so it could be a minor fix that gopro has to apply in their next update so it becomes a readable format...

hopefully this is fixed soon

Explorer

[ New ]
What OS are you using? Premier Pro works fine for me with 1080/240 and 4K/60 video files. I'm using a Dell i7 Windows 10 16GB RAM GTX 1050ti laptop.
Anonymous

[ New ]

windows 7 pro 64bit

adobe PP CS6

Anonymous

[ New ]

rest of the settings;

INTEL Core i7-4770K 4x 3,50GHz
nVidia GeForce GTX780 3 GB DDR5
windows 7 Pro 64bit

32GB ram crucial pc3-1600

Anonymous

[ New ]

For HEVC, I think you'll need to be on Windows 10, and premiere pro 2017.

You have options though

1. Update your system to the latest version of Windows 10 and Adobe Premiere.

2. Stay with your current system and use handbrake or something else to transcode the HEVC file to X.284 and edit. (slight hit on image)

3. Not use modes that use the HEVC, 4k/60fps, 2k/120fps 1080p/240fps

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hey,

just got my new Hero6 and have the same problem:

It's not possible to import HEVC into CS6 (also tried CC test version).

I used handbreak to convert it to H.264 (.mp4) and the import works now,

but it's not possible to work with the material bacause of lagging.

I never had any problem using 4k30 or 1080p120 material (60Mbit)

on my computer (gtx1060, 32GB Ram, 8x4GB AMD, SSD).

I tried diffrent export setting (sized videos down to 30Mbit) on handbrake,

but the lagging still occurs and it seems that bei CPU could be

the problem (80% - 100% workload).

Any ideas how I can edit my 4k60|1080p240 videos with CS6 (maybe I need to upgrade to CS?)

Anonymous

[ New ]

I was in the same boat as you and ended up just going with Adobe Premiere Pro.

Even GoPro's native program Quik could not work with the files if you bought on release date.

Anonymous

[ New ]

On a Mac I didn't need to have the latest OS to work with the HEVC files. Premiere Pro prompted me to download the codec when importing the footage. But I think you'll need at least CC2017 for this. 

HOWEVER: I do find that (even after upgrading my OS as well to the latest version) Premiere handles the HEVC files horrible. Low light files get horrible compression artefacts, that I cannot see when displaying the files for instance on my phone. 
Also the files are terribly hard to handle for Premiere Pro and lag a lot when working with them. 
Fed up with adobe I downloaded the free Da Vinci Resolve software from Blackmagic Design. 
Works like a charm, no lag, files play fluently and no compression artefacts to be found in my footage. 

Hiker

[ New ]

if you are going to transcode your HEVC footage with for exmple Handbrake, don't convert to anther compressed format like H264 etc. 

Convert to avi, cineform, DNxHR/HD, prores or other non heavily compressed format. You editing experience will be smoother. 

You see, these compressed formats are a pain to edit for computers. Decrompressing on the fly while scrubbing through footage will bog down event the best hig speced machine.

Hiker

[ New ]

if you are going to transcode your HEVC footage with for exmple Handbrake, don't convert to anther compressed format like H264 etc. 

Convert to avi, cineform, DNxHR/HD, prores or other non heavily compressed format. You editing experience will be smoother. 

You see, these compressed formats are a pain to edit for computers. Decrompressing on the fly while scrubbing through footage will bog down event the best high speced machine.

Anonymous

[ New ]
you can edit HAVC in premiere pro with the latest update, if you are paying for the product the latest version supports that
Nomad

[ New ]

Get this one with ADOBE Premiere Pro CC 2018

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 7.22.09 PM.png
Anonymous

[ New ]
Explorer

[ New ]

4K/60 doesn't appear to have the same issue, it is using the same HEVC format as 4K/30 4:3, 2.7K/120, 1080/240.  If you don't have a computer that can support HEVC either use handbrake or get a better computer.  There is no issue with the Hero6 or the different resolutions, just issues with people understanding the format and how to use it.

Anonymous

[ New ]

The computer will be able to play HEVC files no matter what. If your computer is very old, the playback will be slow. 

It's the editing software that needs to support HEVC.

I think the problem here is that we are blaming adobe or davinci resolve, which are 3rd party products I dont want to buy, when GoPro is the one to provide us with usable software.

There's no official program to do simple slow motion / speed ramps, something the iphone has built-in in the camera app since several years ago.

Explorer

[ New ]
DaVinci Resolve is free
Explorer

[ New ]
And no, not any old computer can handle HEVC or 4K for that matter. There are minimum requirements, codecs, and chipset capabilities that are needed to run operating systems and software. Utilizing programs to convert the footage into a usable format is an option if you don't want to invest in a machine capable of editing higher resolution/frame rate video. You can use handbrake, QuikStories, or GoPro Plus.
Anonymous

[ New ]

How can handbrake, quickstories or gopro plus help to do slow motion?

Explorer

[ New ]
They can allow you to convert the video into a usable format
Anonymous

[ New ]

Not without losing quality.  As far as I know.  Which kind of defeats the purpose of upgrading to a Hero 6

Explorer

[ New ]

True.  If you don't want to invest in the proper equipment to edit higher resolutions/frame rates and HEVC, then perhaps it's not the right camera for you.  Personally, I enjoy and utilize the many other features of the Hero6 Black so even if I couldn't effectively utilize HEVC, the camera would still be a worthy upgrade.

Anonymous

[ New ]
There should at-least be a notice on the camera when purchasing that tells you the minimum system requirements to edit these footage on PC its bull**bleep** that they don't, R8,000 spent and I can not use it!
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous

We completely understand the concern and we would like to help you on this matter further.  

There is an HEVC notice on your camera whenever you select a high resolution/high fps. This provides a heads up that the videos captured will require an HEVC compatible device for playback or editing.

For further information, you may refer to this article: HEVC Explained

In addition to this, you can also check: How to Convert GoPro HEVC Videos to H.264 Using HandBrake

Thanks!

EJ

Nomad

[ New ]

You need PREMIERE PRO CC 2018 in order to WORK with 4K 60fps, 2K 120fps, 1040 60fps, 1080 240fps. with no problem I'm editing on a old MACBOOK Pro 17" with SSD and my SLOW MOTION or FAST FORWARD smooth as butter.

AdobePremiereProCC.png

Anonymous

[ New ]

Alexl all good a well but why does GoPro studio not support it now the client purchasing the gopro have to purchase 3rd party software aswell? NO this is bull**bleep** gopro need to get their sjit together and supply the software with their camera its after all the most expensive action camera on the market so.....just plain old bull**bleep**.

Anonymous

[ New ]

ARAGON are you hearing yourself and did you even read what I'm saying? Let me explain it so that you might understand it. If a person buys software, for instance Adobe Premiere Pro, then on that software it states the minimum and recomended system requirments to operate the software. The reason for that is obviouse but let me explain that to you anycase because it seems you have dificulty understanding these things. THE REASON IS SO THAT YOU DONT BUY SOFTWARE THAT YOU CANT USE ON YOUR PC.

NOW ARAGON. Where does it state the minimum and maximum system requirments for the GoPitty Hero 6 BEFORE purchasing!!!! Not after purchase when you change the settings in the camera the it tells you useless info and does not even tell you how to solve your problem it only tells you that you have a problem THATS TOO LATE LITTLE BUDDY!!

Explorer

[ New ]

Plenty of computers can't handle editing 4K/30 h.264. Does evey camera that records in 4K have to spell that out to the user as well? In fact, some can't even handle 1080p smoothly or effectively.  The editing software is responsible for informing the user what the system requirements are, not the device that records the video.  The camera works fine, you are responsible for what you do with the captured video.

GoPro does provide a solution to those not willing or able to get the proper equiplment for video editing.

1) Use handbrake to convert to a usable format

2) Upload to the GoPro cloud (you can do this via auto upload from the camera, from the desktop Quik app, or the Mobile Quik app). You can then download the video to your computer in a usable format

Not taking the responsibility to do a little research before purchasing something is a you problem.  The information about HEVC (h.265) recording and system requirements for editing is readily available from multiple sources.

As far as editing software, download DaVinci Resolve or VSDC video editor.  Both are free.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Backpacker your comment is rediculouse and false. I have done plenty of research afterwards and do now understand the PC is not the problem so much as the software. My PC is perfect for handeling the videos BUT I need Adobe Premier Pro 2018. Aparently 2015 which I have does not work with it. GoPro Studio does not ever work with it. It's just a mess. You should keep in mind not everyone purchasing a gopro is a video edit professional some of us like myself are new to this and this little info would go a long way the give a heads up about software needed ect. Say what you want but it is what it is. gopro are p#ssing people off and this will for sure affect my nect purchase. Not a gopro fan at all just because of this.

Explorer

[ New ]
High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC), or H.265, is a video compression standard designed to substantially improve coding efficiency. You seem to think it is something GoPro came up with. All video is heading in this direction and has been since early 2016. With Apple now pushing it, it is becoming the industry standard. You can edit HEVC with other editors other than Premier Pro. Not using HEVC for 4k/60, 2.7k/120 and 1080/240 would have been a mistake as h.264 takes up roughly TWICE the amount of storage and bandwidth. When compared to H.264, HEVC/H.265 delivers a significantly better visual quality, when compressed to the same file size or bitrate. It is your comments that are ridiculous and false.
Hiker

[ New ]

2015 is 2 years ago. Ages in the fast moving tech world. 

If you did reseach, you would'nt be ranting.

So Gopro (and every other camera mfg)  should drop 4K/60fps because you can't use it? Read up, tonnes of workarounds, event listed on the Gopro site. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Ok Daniel valid point, but many people like me new to this still have the issue and with many worakrounds being out there they still dont work. Its very frustrating and not even my local computer shop can help with this its just something that you would expect to work when you buy it from a normal persons point of view you do understand that? Could you maby tell me why Gopro studio can not open these files and see them as audio only? I have and WIN10 - ACER ASPIRE R7 laptop with 8GB DDR3 RAM 1TB hybrid. Surely Gopro studio should be able to play HECV files on my laptop dont you think?

Explorer

[ New ]
@no66

I agree with everything you wrote except 2015 was 3 years ago ;)
Explorer

[ New ]
GoPro discontinued GoPro Studio awhile back. The change to HEVC recording was probably one of the reasons for this. My guess is that they didn't want to put in the resources to continue developing a software that was already on life support and overwhelming customer support. Since better free PC and MAC editing software already is available to the market, they have shifted the focus to mobile editing, which is what the newer generation of action cam video producers are using.
Explorer

[ New ]
BTW, I totally get your frustration. Other than when you take demeaning tones in your comments, I don't have issue with what you are expressing. I'm just trying to give a little clarity.
Hiker

[ New ]

Welcome to the world of video editing. :-) 

Yes, it a mess with codecs, fps, resolutions, proxies, compression, laggingetc etc etc.
Better cameras need better computers in a vicious circle...

its a trap! 

Explorer

[ New ]
@Anonymous
As far as your computer specs, it's pretty under powered.

The integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 that comes with the ACER ASPIRE R7 isn't ideal for 4K video editing (HEVC or h.264). The other issue you will have is if the processor is a Intel Core i5-3337U. This processor is 2 core and based on Ivry bridge tech which is 2013 technology. You really need a Intel Haswell based CPU and quad core for 4k editing. As far as RAM is concerned, DDR3 came out in 2007. 8GB DDR4 is really the minimum. Minimum equals functional but at the lowest playback resolutions and limited in function. For 4K video editing, 16GB is really a decent minimum and even then you will usually have to lower playback resolution.

In general, laptops are not the best video editors. They can be, but usually you need to spend for a higher end machine. Gaming laptops tend to work well and can be more budget friendly of you get a lower end machine.

In my opinion, the minimum specs for a video editing machine are:
Intel Core i7 2.3GHz four-core
16GB DDR3 or 8GB DDR4 (With a good GPU)
NVIDIA GTX 1060 (you can get a cheaper, lower spec GPU like the GeForce GT 750M or GTX660 but will be limited and regretting it in a year or two)
SSD storage is best but costly. Hard disk are fine but preferably one with 7,200rpm.
Explorer

[ New ]

@no66

It's more than a trap, it's a sickness.  I have a Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming i7-7700HQ Quad Core, 32GB DDR4, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050Ti, 128GB Solid State Drive (Boot) + 1TB 5400RPM Hard Drive and looking to upgrade.  You just never can get enough processing power.

Anonymous

[ New ]

This reply is exactly what I would have expected from gopro. Daniel doe you work for gopro?

Anonymous

[ New ]
Haha, thanks Im starting to see that
Anonymous

[ New ]
Daniel AWESOME I have waited almost 2 months for the help you just gave me. This is great I now know exactly what I need to do. I wanted to go desktop option but I tend to travel a bit and dont want to buy many SD cards I'd rather upload to pc when Im done with something. Can you recommend a laptop in a range around R20,000 I'd like not to regret it in two years preferably spend a little more to work efficiently. Time is precious. Thanks again appreciate your input!
Explorer

[ New ]
I'm partial to Dell computers and I'm not sure what the prices are in your area (it just says "Contact Dell) but you might want to consider the Alienware 17 http://www.dell.com/za/p/alienware-17-r3/pd?ref=PD_OC, or the Inspiron 15 7000 gaming http://www.dell.com/za/p/inspiron-15-7577-laptop/pd?ref=PD_Family

The Alienware laptop is going to be more powerful but also heavier and louder. I have last years Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming with a GTX1050ti. It works very well but I'd rather have the GTX1060 because it's a significant upgrade. The GTX1080 is vastly superior and more future proof but the cost makes it outside of mine, and your, budget.

I'm a bit of a label loyalist until a brand does me wrong. I used to purchase HP computers until I started having consistent issues. Now I steer clear of them. HP seems to be more focused on enterprise workhorse machines and haven't really impressed me with there personal computers/laptops. That doesn't mean they are bad, just not something I can recommend due to past experiences.

Basically though, it's not so much the name of the computer as it is the components inside. Start with your budget and try to get as close as you can to the specs I mentioned in my earlier post. If you can get the best components at an affordable price in any brand, go for it.

Start with the processor and GPU and then the most RAM you can afford. Get the best processor you can. i3, i5, and i7 all start off as i7 chips but once they come off the assembly line and are tested it is determined which is which.

The i5 are i7 that don't meet the minimum spec requirements of an i7. Some i5 chips might be close to the same performance as the i7 but some might perform closer to the i3. If you get an i7 you know you are getting a good chip. i3 are junk and should not be considered. You want as many cores as you can afford and the latest chips have the most current instruction sets. AMD having been trying to up their game but it's safer to just stick with Intel. Get at least a Quad Core. If you can get an Octa Core (very unlikely) get it, even if it means compromising in other areas. To future proof your laptop for as long as possible, always get the latest generation.

A 4K monitor is nice but not necessary. You will do fine with an IPS display but DO NOT get a TFT.

A 256SSD will serve you better than a 1T 5200 rpm hard drive because it will move data faster and you can always just use an external hard drive to store you videos/photos. A 128SSD with internal 1T 5200rpm hard drive isn't a bad option, but it requires a lot of file management for maximum workflow efficiency when editing. The best middle ground is just getting a 7200rpm hard drive if possible.

This is all just my opinion, but I hope it helps.

Best of luck,
Daniel
Explorer

[ New ]
Oh, and no, I don't work for GoPro.

GoPro has been a part of my family and my life for a little over 6 years. Because of GoPro cameras I have been able to capture and create photos and videos of our lives that I wouldn't have been able to do with any other camera. When my child was born, GoPro was there. Birthdays, holidays, weddings, and funerals. GoPro was there to capture those moments. Everything from my kids first step, riding a bike, skating a half pipe and his first time riding a wave, I have all of those moments saved because of GoPro.

I've also captured my own person moments like the first time I successfully dropped in on a 20'+ wave. Luckily I've also been able to make some money with GoPro as it's a great camera for capturing unique and previously unobtainable angles and POV for events.

The competition has increased and now there are many decent alternatives, but I still feel GoPro is the best at meeting (and exceeding) my needs.

I participate on this site not for any other reason than my wish that others can have the same, if not better, experience that I have been able to achieve. I can sometimes be a little overly defensive, but only because I don't want others to be unduly discouraged without knowing all of the facts.

My advice, film everything. You never really know when you might capture a gem worth holding onto for a lifetime. Over time you learn what works best for you and what doesn't. For the longest time I was always trying to max out the resolution in everything I filmed. These days I've learned that unless it's extremely important (like filming an event for someone) 1080/60 generally works best. At this resolution/frame rate I can quickly and easily make fun QuikStories to share with friends and family and still have decent quality for more intense PC editing. Since most people are watching the videos on mobile devices, having all the extra resolution of 4K rarely pays off for just fun family moments.
Backpacker

[ New ]

I have a great deal of camera and encoding knowledge, i also work on many bespoke systems at server level in my day job. That said i my home PC is now a few years old but i am using (without getting to boring) an Intel i7 16gb DDR4, ssd boot drive 12500rpm main drive and just a USB3 drive for storage needs. I ran into horid playback with my now 4 day old Hero6 using HEVC files and tried a few options before i realised it was because i was running a developer beta version of windows 10 and it throttles GPU and codecs being unregistered.

Once i went back over to Windows 10 Pro things got alot better, so if you are willing to spend 5$ and spend a little time you will have a very workable solution with zero hit on quality. Obviously a decent modern PC is a given, so at the moment here is what i do.

Download the encoder called V6 from here, it requires a donation of $5 but is very very powerfull. 

http://hdcinematics.com/wnorton/2017/10/16/v6-intro/

Once this is installed just convert your footage to Prores 4.2.2 LT is fine is required reconform from 240fps to 23.976fps for the slomo conversion.

While its converting download Davince Resolve from here https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

Its free an industry standard Video editor, again i have been using this software for years on my other Cinema cameras.

If you need more help with encoding steps give me a shout.

Stephen

Nomad

[ New ]

Same as PROXY for ADOBE Premiere Pro CC 2018 on MAC computer and is garanty to work for any computer.