Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

How to use the Hero 8 as a webcam on a 2019 Macbook Pro?

I have searched the forums and while I've found some bits and pieces scattered throughout, I've yet to find a definitive, straighforward thread in regard to using the Hero 8 as a webcam on a Macbook Pro. – If you're about to post a link, great, thank you!  Just not to be a troll about it and know that I'm grateful for the information and consider the fact that I'm new here and I searched for a couple of hours and still couldn't find exactly what I needed, or the answers to the things I was seeing on my camera verses what I was supposed" to see.

So let me start with my inventory: 

- Hero 8 Black

- Media Mod

- USB C to USB A cable

- HDMI Micro to HDMI cable

- GoPro Quik Software (Installed)

- Android File Transfer (Installed)

When I connect my Hero 8 directly with the USB C to USB A cable it goes straight into data mode, with the screen saying "USB Conneccted" and I can see the files using the native Mac application, Image Capture as well as with the GoPro Quik application. I have no problem transferring and playing the files and everything is working well with the camera connected as a data repository.  

When I connect my Hero 8 directly with the Micro HDMI to HDMI cable and go to Preferences/Input/Output what I see on my screen is the Audio Input column header, lit up in bright white as though it's active and there should be an option listed under that column and the Media Mod column header greyed out as though it's inactive. (See the first image in the attached photo.)

Nothing I've done so far has worked as far as getting my Macbook Pro to recognize that there is a camera attached or getting the camera to recognize, through the HDMI cable, that it's attached to a computer.  When I connected the camera to a monitor however, the camera appears to instantly recognize that it's connected to a monitor and I see, briefly, the spinning GoPro logo followed by the collection of clips and images that are stored on board. (See the second image in the attached photo.)  I can navigate the basic menu using the power and shutter buttons on the Media Mod, but the touch screen on the GoPro is black and unresponsive and even if I needed to I could not navigate to the Preferences menu, though obviously the camera already recognizes that it's connected to an HDMI display.

I've also tried connecting the Hero 8 through the Elgato HD60 S+ (https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/game-capture-hd60-s-plus), but the Macbook Pro still does not recognize the Hero 8 as a camera. So what am I missing? Any and all helpful replies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

GoPro Samples.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: How to use the Hero 8 as a webcam on a 2019 Macbook Pro?

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

I haven't tried this yet so I can't provide support, but you can give this a go and see if it helps you use your GoPro as a webcam or for Zoom meetings etc. https://youtu.be/WfCuZAr3GeA

Highlighted
Hiker

So... to follow up on this topic.

I eventually figured out how to get it working. - Yes.... GoPro now offers a Beta firmware update and application for the Mac that is (sort of) working. <<< More on that later.   However, if you don't want to sign up to be a beta-tester OR... if you're using a Windows machine this process will still work for you.

First, you'll need the Media Mod.

Next, you'll need an Elgato HD 60S+ capture card.

You'll also need the following items;

HDMI Micro to HDMI

USB Charging Cube plus a, USC C male to USC A male

USB C male to USB C male (Mac) 

USC C male to USC A male (Windows)

As a basic primer, I highly recommend watching this video, "How to Live Stream witht the GoPro 8"

Step 0) Before you get started there are some key settings in your camera that you should program first. 

1) Set the video mode to, 1080|60|N

2) Preferences/General/Auto Power Off to Never.

Step 1) Update the firmware on your GoPro Hero 8.  Here's a simple YouTube video on how to do this, "How to update Firmware on the GoPro Hero Black". – The actual instructions begin at 1:25 into the video and eventually you'll need to go to, http://gopro.com/update to download the firmware. <<< Honestly, the firmware update process used to be very simple and straightforward, but for whatever reason they've since added a mobile phone app that is... Well, you watch the video and then read the new instructions regarding the mobile app and decide for yourself.

Step 2) With the firmware successfully updated, install the camera into the Media Mod and remove the battery. – If you try to run the media mod with the battery installed for an extended time the camera will overheat.

Step 3) Use the USB Charging Cube and the, USC C male to USC A male to power the camera, plugging the USB C side of the cable into the USB C port of the media mod.

Step 4) Next, plug the HDMI Micro to HDMI cable into the HDMI micro port of the Media Mod and the standard HDMI side of the cable into the HDMI port on the side of the Elgato HD 60S+ capture card marked, "IN".

Step 5) To the immediate right of the HDMI port of the HD 60S+ capture card on the "IN" side of the device, you'll see a USB C port.  If you're a (newer) Mac user, use the USB C male to USB C male to plug the HD 60 S+, using the USB C port adjacent to the HDMI port, into your Mac.  Otherwise you can use the USC C male to USC A male to plug connect the HD 60S+, from the USB C port adjacent to the HDMI port of the HD 60S+, to your computer.

Step 6) With the camera powered on, open Zoom (for example) and go to video preferences and select the HD 60S+ Capture as your video device.

Step 7) I found this step useful...  Now power cycle the camera and watch the preview window in Zoom preferences.  You will see the GoPro logo come up followed by a circular animation and eventually you'll land on a menu intended to show you all of the recordings on your micro SD card.  At the top of that menu you'll see some icons.  Using the Mode button on the side of the Media Mod navigate to the last icon (camera) on the right and then use the Select/Enter button on the top of the Media Mod to select the camera mode.

Step 8) By this point you should be seeing the output of the camera in the preview window, however you'll also see the output with an overlay on it.  To turn off the overlay, while watching the live output of the camera, press the Mode button on the side of the Media Mod once to bring up the menu at the bottom on the screen. 

Step 9) Next, using the Mode button navigiate accross the menu at the bottom of the screen, from left to right until you get to the last icon on the right (looks like "no view") and use the Select/Enter button on the top of the Media Mod to turn off the overlay.  

Regarding the new GoPro webcam application and firmware update: 

Hopefully by time you read this they'll have sort out all of the bugs.  However as I type, I am just recovering from following the "official" instructions for installing the Beta software to make this work and I have to tell you that after following all of the steps, it didn't work.  Or at least it didn't work for the first few hours. 

I have no idea why, but even after rebotting my computer several times I could not the get the software to work on my 2019 MacBook Pro.  Then I watched the video again and it said that the software was compatible with Zoom version 5.1.5.  Turned out I was running 5.1.2 and my company didn't have plans to update to 5.1.5 anytime soon, so I figured I was out of luck.  Well a couple fo hours later the --bleep-- thing just started working.  I don't know why or what I could have done, but somehow after the umpteenth time I opened Zoom it finally saw GoPro Webcam as a video option.

I've been sucessfully using it for about a week now and so far it's still working, but it is very slow to react.  If I unplug the camera for example and then plug it back in, it takes about 3-5 minutes before the application see the camera (the little blue graphic appears on the app). 

So if you're a Mac user, you might want to try the beta software first and see if that works for you.  It may work for you straight away and you can bypass the Elgato HD 60 S+ setup and the Media Mod as well.  However if it doesn't work, or if you're using a Windows machine, and GoPro still hasn't released the Windows version of the app yet, then the HD 60S+ is the way to go. 

Good luck!

Highlighted
Hiker

So... to follow up on this topic.

I eventually figured out how to get it working. - Yes.... GoPro now offers a Beta firmware update and application for the Mac that is (sort of) working. <<< More on that later.   However, if you don't want to sign up to be a beta-tester OR... if you're using a Windows machine this process will still work for you.

HDMI Micro to HDMI

As a basic primer, I highly recommend watching this video, "How to Live Stream witht the GoPro 8"

Step 0) Before you get started there are some key settings in your camera that you should program first. 

Step 1) Update the firmware on your GoPro Hero 8.  Here's a simple YouTube video on how to do this, "How to update Firmware on the GoPro Hero Black". – The actual instructions begin at 1:25 into the video and eventually you'll need to go to, http://gopro.com/update to download the firmware. <<< Honestly, the firmware update process used to be very simple and straightforward, but for whatever reason they've since added a mobile phone app that is... Well, you watch the video and then read the new instructions regarding the mobile app and decide for yourself.

Step 2) With the firmware successfully updated, install the camera into the Media Mod and remove the battery. – If you try to run the media mod with the battery installed for an extended time the camera will overheat.

Step 3) Use the USB Charging Cube and the, USC C male to USC A male to power the camera, plugging the USB C side of the cable into the USB C port of the media mod.

Step 4) Next, plug the HDMI Micro to HDMI cable into the HDMI micro port of the Media Mod and the standard HDMI side of the cable into the HDMI port on the side of the Elgato HD 60S+ capture card marked, "IN".

Step 5) To the immediate right of the HDMI port of the HD 60S+ capture card on the "IN" side of the device, you'll see a USB C port.  If you're a (newer) Mac user, use the USB C male to USB C male to plug the HD 60 S+, using the USB C port adjacent to the HDMI port, into your Mac.  Otherwise you can use the USC C male to USC A male to plug connect the HD 60S+, from the USB C port adjacent to the HDMI port of the HD 60S+, to your computer.

Step 6) With the camera powered on, open Zoom (for example) and go to video preferences and select the HD 60S+ Capture as your video device.

Step 7) I found this step useful...  Now power cycle the camera and watch the preview window in Zoom preferences.  You will see the GoPro logo come up followed by a circular animation and eventually you'll land on a menu intended to show you all of the recordings on your micro SD card.  At the top of that menu you'll see some icons.  Using the Mode button on the side of the Media Mod navigate to the last icon (camera) on the right and then use the Select/Enter button on the top of the Media Mod to select the camera mode.

Step 8) By this point you should be seeing the output of the camera in the preview window, however you'll also see the output with an overlay on it.  To turn off the overlay, while watching the live output of the camera, press the Mode button on the side of the Media Mod once to bring up the menu at the bottom on the screen. 

Step 9) Next, using the Mode button navigiate accross the menu at the bottom of the screen, from left to right until you get to the last icon on the right (looks like "no view") and use the Select/Enter button on the top of the Media Mod to turn off the overlay.  

Hopefully by time you read this they'll have sort out all of the bugs.  However as I type, I am just recovering from following the "official" instructions for installing the Beta software to make this work and I have to tell you that after following all of the steps, it didn't work.  Or at least it didn't work for the first few hours. 

I have no idea why, but even after rebotting my computer several times I could not the get the software to work on my 2019 MacBook Pro.  Then I watched the video again and it said that the software was compatible with Zoom version 5.1.5.  Turned out I was running 5.1.2 and my company didn't have plans to update to 5.1.5 anytime soon, so I figured I was out of luck.  Well a couple fo hours later the --bleep-- thing just started working.  I don't know why or what I could have done, but somehow after the umpteenth time I opened Zoom it finally saw GoPro Webcam as a video option.

I've been sucessfully using it for about a week now and so far it's still working, but it is very slow to react.  If I unplug the camera for example and then plug it back in, it takes about 3-5 minutes before the application see the camera (the little blue graphic appears on the app). 

So if you're a Mac user, you might want to try the beta software first and see if that works for you.  It may work for you straight away and you can bypass the Elgato HD 60 S+ setup and the Media Mod as well.  However if it doesn't work, or if you're using a Windows machine, and GoPro still hasn't released the Windows version of the app yet, then the HD 60S+ is the way to go. 

Good luck!

Highlighted
Hiker

So... to follow up on this topic, "How to use the Hero 8 as a webcam on a 2019 Macbook Pro"

HDMI Micro to HDMI

As a basic primer, I highly recommend watching this video, "How to Live Stream with the GoPro 8"

Step 8) By this point you should be seeing the output of the camera in the preview window; however, you'll also see the output with an overlay on it.  To turn off the overlay, while watching the live output of the camera, press the Mode button on the side of the Media Mod once to bring up the menu at the bottom on the screen. 

Step 9) Next, using the Mode button navigate across the menu at the bottom of the screen, from left to right until you get to the last icon on the right (looks like "no view") and use the Select/Enter button on the top of the Media Mod to turn off the overlay.  

Hopefully by time you read this they'll have sort out all of the bugs.  However, as I type, I am just recovering from following the "official" instructions for installing the Beta software to make this work and I have to tell you that after following all of the steps, it didn't work.  Or at least it didn't work for the first few hours. 

I have no idea why, but even after rebooting my computer several times I could not the get the software to work on my 2019 MacBook Pro.  Then I watched the video again and it said that the software was compatible with Zoom version 5.1.5.  Turned out I was running 5.1.2 and my company didn't have plans to update to 5.1.5 anytime soon, so I figured I was out of luck.  Well a couple of hours later the darn thing just started working.  I don't know why or what I could have done, but somehow after the umpteenth time I opened Zoom it finally saw GoPro Webcam as a video option.

I've been successfully using it for about a week now and so far, it's still working, but it is generally very slow to react.  If I unplug the camera for example and then plug it back in, it takes about 3-5 minutes before the application sees the camera (the little blue graphic appears on the app). 

So, if you're a Mac user, you might want to try the beta software first and see if that works for you.  It may work for you straight away and you can bypass the Elgato HD 60 S+ setup and the Media Mod as well.  However, if it doesn't work, or if you're using a Windows machine, and GoPro still hasn't released the Windows version of the app yet, then using the Elgato HD 60S+ is the way to go. 

Good luck! 

Highlighted
Hiker