Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: How to stop wind noise

Highlighted
Anonymous

Is that a kind of glass with silicon glue to stick on smartphones's screen ?

I made 3 videos (for sound)

#1 without any protection :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR1yQH0eRBs

we can ear horrible sounds up to 60km/h

#2 with tape on front microphone and foam in front-holes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xain29Iqd0

bad noises are muffled but present quite exactly than before

3# with plastic subaquatic box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7d3EnU95BA

can ear airflows but it's a far better sound.

To complete : recent bikes are VERY noiseless (all) under 8000rpm due to catalysors and EU norms (motor sound is more present on bikes with custom exhaust systems) but it permits to show differences with and without cam-box. 

Maybe it's not the absolute solution : placing camera on a very windy place will reccord of course "some wind", BUT box can filtre horrible noisy "parasites". At less than 100km/h it's a simple solution : can make sound of a bicycle ride with 30knots front wind acceptable, and now reccord your voice.

In offroad runs, maybe shocks on chest/box (like little stones projections) can be a problem but i imagine it's possible to put foam pads covers on it.

(sorry for possible english approximative terms)

Airflows noise : without any protection
Airflows noise : with subaquatic plastic box
Airflows noise : with tape on front and back microphone
Highlighted
Anonymous

Great of you sweetmesa to use time to try different options and then also share the results with us!

About the taping of microphones: I tried not taping the rear microphone at all, and at one point only taped a small piece of felt using an O-shaped piece of double-sided tape (so the tape doesn't cover the microphone's holes). I tried to make something like this:
http://rycote.com/microphone-windshield-shock-mount/micro-windjammers/

The logic is that I don't think the rear microphone is as likely to cause horrible wind noise, and I want the rear mic to therefore be 'activated' into use by the camera's automatic mic adjustment system. That's why I tape the front camera as thoroughly as possible -> so the camera itself turns it off and uses only the rear mic. I don't know if that really happens but that was my theory.

Highlighted
Anonymous

I'm also thinking of beginning to use a seperate recording device, but I don't like the idea of having to edit every single video to add the separate audio track. And importantly also since I'm about to invest in a Hero 5 and maybe Session 5 as well plus a Karma grip, plus then maybe throw a Karma drone in there as well since it's just a few hundred more, I'm sort of wanting to hold back on the purchases since I'm hoping some kind of solution for the sound is right around the corner...

That's a lot of money into video equipment which is almost useless if the audio ruins all the material or if I don't end up using them at all since using a separate audio recorder plus editing is a big additional hassle. And what if I buy all that and then immediately some new product is introduced with the audio stuff solved?? I'm not a professional, not really a hobbyist, I use GoPros to film my hobbies (and if I get a drone then sometimes for work too, as an additional tool) and that's it. I know I'm not going to invest a lot of time into playing around with this stuff. Having at least ok audio is crucial, since it makes the difference between a pleasant viewing experience and something making the whole experience annoying/unpleasant.

It's pretty unbalanced to have such fantastic video equipment and then basically useless audio...

Highlighted
Anonymous

@fishycomics : not certain this protection can help for sound, this glass protection doesnt covers microphone location (we can see a cut in the corner at this place)

Highlighted
Anonymous

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous  Good  idea to just cover microphone's holes with "filter" (rear and front complete obstruct provoque bad sound in video#2)

pleased if it can help someone to choose solutions for this accoustic problem (I spent many hours trying many things), and... totaly agree with you.

The problem when recording something oustside (or in movement) is to catch ONLY what you want to ear (same with pro directionnal microphones and good windjammers) so technical solutions can hard to find for every situation... but if at least if saturation provoqued by wind can be solve it can be a real good progress.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Well hello kind sir,

Ive recently bought mysefl a gopro hero session4 as I wanted to film myself on my motorbike etc. After researching many other brands, some cheaper, so more expensive I thought gopro is the way.

How ever, Im now very disappointed as the footage is great, but the wind noise is herrendous and something I wasnt aware of, or thought about during my research. 

I youtubed and watched numerous videos all saying they have the solution, and Ive tried most, the form, cleaning sponge over the mic areas only, all to no avail. 

Then a friend of mine said to borrow her Hero4 which is a year old, with a waterproof case which i used and would you believe it, its a million times better, you know some people on these forums have said they think the mics on the new range were simply an after thought and I have to agree, also making them waterproof without a case required. 

Well thats great, but I cant keep borrowing or buy another camera, so my plan B which appears to be working, whilst using my mobile phone or my existing gopro hero4 session, is to buy a seperate digital audio sound recorder, placed securely in my pillion seat of my bike away from the wind, but close to the sound of my exhaust, and have my gorpo sitting nicely on the tank with a suction cup.

Once footage and audio is gained, then load them both an editing video and audio software, to which Im still researching to keep cost down.

Exhausted? Yes I am after all that..good luck and enjoy!

PS Maybe Gopro will design a case for the new range of hero session...

Highlighted
Anonymous

as I wrote, that's exactly what i do for sportive sessions (i have a sound recorder Tascam DR05 under back seat, any recorder can match, the most important is that you can setup manualy recording-levels) and what will give you the best quality... but you have to edit and sync audio/video manualy after : for long sessions it can take a long time.

For tourism at low/medium riding rythme (where no "engine sound" has to absolutely be recorded)  aqua-case can give correct results (and protect cam from projections).