Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

How to stop wind noise

What is the best way to suppress wind noise on the Hero Session?

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: How to stop wind noise

Do you want to remove all sound or limit wind noise? If remove then place insulating tape over the mic holes or remove audio in editing, the help limit the noise try tape a little cotton wool over the mic holes, this will take patience and yeild possible poor audio at best.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Sorry its an action camera  if we had the  option to turn off the front mic it be best. so like @epicallyepic says  find a way to cover it if it is not to your liking 

get another camera, or sound recorder. I   find all cameras   do not record  wit hthe best wind reduction so I deal with it.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I found the wind noise to be a huge problem as I mostly use the Session on a motorcycle, mounted on my helmet. I'd like to get at least a bit of engine sound and without the wind noise making the audio completely unusable.

Covering the mics with electrical tape (because it's dense and thick) did help, made the videos watchable with audio at least. It didn't help much in regard to hearing engine noise much though as it damps all sound so much. Then when using it to record other stuff the tape has to be removed otherwise the audio is again unusable because it's so damped. Then putting the tape on again takes a long time as you have to cut pieces to the right size, get the seams neat and in the right direction so they don't make more noise...

After taking off the tape I put a bit of felt in front of the front mic by stuffing it through the opening on the side of the front mike, and it actually has been a pretty good solution! The camera is still generally usable as it doesn't interfere with normal audio recording, but it helps a lot with the wind noise. It doesn't remove it completely of course, far from it, but it's a pretty big improvement making it possible to at least keep audio on, even if you still hear the whooshing of wind noise. The whooshing isn't absolutely horrible this way. I think that this slightly removes wind noise, and somehow makes the GoPro active mic system work a lot better than before! I actually had to check that there wasn't some automatic software update, it seemed to change the automatic dual mic system so much! 

Note: the felt isn't easy to get out of the small opening if you want to remove it...

I do have to say that there should be some better solution to the audio recording options in general in future GoPro products, and especially we really do need a wireless audio solution to solve this once and for all! I understand that the Session 4 is really affordable and therefore can't offer everything, but at least let us turn off the front mic and offer some wind dampening solution for the rear mic (a wind protector to tape onto the mic for example?)!

And for the future GoPro should offer a completely wireless solution or a really well functioning (works with holders & mounts etc. and everything remains waterproof) piggyback module for wireless mics like Sena offers for the older GoPros (but that doesn't work with Hero5 or Session cams, and has the issue of mounting options). Optimum would be wireless connection somehow (I don't care if I have to carry around an extre module somewhere on me) that allows me to integrate the sound from my Sena and also from a completely separate, very high quality mic! I would pay a good sum for that solution! 

Now we have the Hero 5 Black for main video, Session 5 for another POV that's only achievable with a camera that small, the Karma Grip gimbal...all that gives us incredibly high quality video. All that's missing now is the incredibly high quality audio solution to complete the package. Any negatives in any of these areas makes the video uncomfortable to watch, and now we have the visual side sorted so it's genuinely comfortable to watch. Now we wait for the audio to be sorted.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Yeah I hear ya I went bike riding and  with wind  reduction Lol till I hit a   non windy area its life on any camera .

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Hello

I tried many things too, since i bought my Hero4 Session last year for motorbike-racing (interested by it's very compact size), cause of very, very bad sound quality up to 70km/h : I absolutely wanted a torso-position for cam, place where noise is very important (due to a just up-position from air-deflector that provoques lots of airflow turbulences).

I begun to search for a solution to desactivate sound by editing video and delete it. But sound is important for me (tutorial use).

So like laurip6872 and epicallyepic I tried tape : better (less bad sound, and less volume) but not satisfying.

The 2 best things I experimented were to inser little accoustic-foam sticks (maybe with cotton it can work) inside each front holes with a small tweezers (with air-flows it provoques horrible "whizzs").

I finaly use in complement a subaquatic-waterproof box that give the best sound quality (reduced but better).

Of course up to 160km/h wind and turbulences are important (in front position it's unavoidable) but under 110 it's quite good, so it can be a good  solution for whom who search solution for mountain-bike (for eg).

I now record sound with a specific sound-recorder (microphone under my seat) but i have to édit/synchronize each video... It is laborious but gives the best quality sound.

Highlighted
Adventurer

waterproof case  did htat work for you?

Highlighted
Tourist

Yes : it improved for me bad audio quality caused by wind.

I think problem with bad audio (speed/wind) in H4Session is caused by front microphone too "frontside". This way, it cant be correctly protected (with an anti-wind "sock" for eg) : same if you isolate it (with tape) wind sounds can be heard cause of important turbulences around/on cam structure in front. Case helps.

The problem that definitely decide me to use independant sound-recording source is that any direct (same light) shock on this case sounds alot (e.g sweat's zip's clinking near can ruin an entire session).

I'll try to take time this week to reccord and upload onroad video samples.

@laurip6872 : "All that's missing now is the incredibly high quality audio solution to complete the package"

It's exactly the right words and what we can hope in the future :)