Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

How to share a GoPro MAX 360/photosphere privately ?

I want to show my GoPro MAX 360 photospheres to friends directly, i.e. without uploading them to somebody's website or to social media such as Facebook. How do I get the photos from the GoPro in a format which I can transfer to the recipient by mail or memory chip and, once that is done, how does the recipient browse the 360 photospheres ? Does the recipient download the GoPro app or some PC/Mac software and use that to view the files ?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: How to share a GoPro MAX 360/photosphere privately ?

Hello @foggydusk54618. The spherical media captured by MAX is saved in .360 format. You'll have to use either the GoPro App on your mobile device or the GoPro Player on your computer to convert these files. Once converted, you can download the video locally to your mobile device or computer so you can attach it to your email or copy it to another drive (or your memory chip).

As for the playback, some default media players on mobile devices don't have the capability to playback spherical media files. However, as far as I know, there could be some mobile VR players available that you can download through Apple Store or Google Play.

For VR playback on your computer, you can download the GoPro VR Player for desktop.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
GoPro

@foggydusk54618, since the spherical media files captured by MAX are saved in .360 format, you'll use either the GoPro App on your mobile device or the GoPro Player on your computer to convert the files into .MP4 format. Using these tools, you can also transform your 360 footage into epic traditional videos and photos you can edit and share.

VR refers to virtual reality. When you view the spherical or 360 media files on your phone, you use applications that are capable of viewing media in a three-dimensional environment.

Highlighted
GoPro

You are awesome, @foggydusk54618! The .JPG format is for the photos. The .360 format is for spherical videos. You can also use an SD card adapter to directly connect the microSD card to your computer to access all the media files saved in the microSD card when importing them to your computer.

Let us know if anything else comes up. 

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @foggydusk54618. The spherical media captured by MAX is saved in .360 format. You'll have to use either the GoPro App on your mobile device or the GoPro Player on your computer to convert these files. Once converted, you can download the video locally to your mobile device or computer so you can attach it to your email or copy it to another drive (or your memory chip).

As for the playback, some default media players on mobile devices don't have the capability to playback spherical media files. However, as far as I know, there could be some mobile VR players available that you can download through Apple Store or Google Play.

For VR playback on your computer, you can download the GoPro VR Player for desktop.

Highlighted
Hiker

Many thanks for these stepwise instructions. I'm new to this field and still getting to grips with the terminology. Your answer has taken me several steps forward.

Two questions:

1. You write "You'll have to use either the GoPro App on your mobile device or the GoPro Player on your computer to convert these files." Convert them from what to what exactly ? Sorry if this sounds a dumb question but I'm trying to understand exactly what I am doing and hours of thrashing around on the Internet hasn't been getting me further.
  2. When I view the 360/photosphere images on my phone I can look around them by moving my fingertips and gesturing on the screen. Is that viewing mode what is called "VR" ?

Highlighted
Nomad

my personal solution to let other privatly let view 360 content.

1: For Video: upload to youtube, and set to private video,and share the link.

2: For photo's: upload to google foto, and make private link.

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks for this suggestion. I'd rather share the images directly if possible rather than upload them to entities such as Google and YouTube. They have their own privacy concepts which may change at any time.

Highlighted
GoPro

@foggydusk54618, since the spherical media files captured by MAX are saved in .360 format, you'll use either the GoPro App on your mobile device or the GoPro Player on your computer to convert the files into .MP4 format. Using these tools, you can also transform your 360 footage into epic traditional videos and photos you can edit and share.

VR refers to virtual reality. When you view the spherical or 360 media files on your phone, you use applications that are capable of viewing media in a three-dimensional environment.

Highlighted
Hiker

Thank you for this additional information. It has enabled me to view my photospheres on my PC but has left me a bit puzzled.

I took some 360 test photos of a local scene, installed the GoPro player on my Windows 10 PC, fired up the GoPro MAX, connected it to the PC by USB cable, and had the GoPro player open one of the files. It opened up the Explorer to choose the file to open, I went to This PC\GoPro MAX\GoPro MTP Client Disk Volume\DCIM\100GOPRO and to my surprise all the files there were .JPG format, not .360. However I opened one up and bingo! I could view the photosphere and browse around it 360x360x360 (you may have heard my loud whoop of delight and shout of "Eureka !" yesterday evening).

So why am I puzzled ? Firstly because the photosphere files on my GoPro are .JPGs and not, as you mentioned, .360s and secondly because I had always assumed that JPG files were "flat" images with some metadata attached and not photospheres. And here GoPro Player is able to extract a photosphere from a JPG file.OK, OK, you may rightly say that if it works it works and why should I bother about the background mechanism, after all, when I drive out of the garage in the morning I don't waste time wondering about how the car's fuel injection system meters the fuel, I just drive the car. But I'm just curious about this GoPro file format. 

Either way, I can now send these .JPG files to friends and tell them to install the GoPro Viewer on their desktops or the app on their portable devices and won't have to post my GoPro to them so that they can view the photospheres.

So, again, thanks for your help.

P.S. This basic knowledge about how to distribute GoPro MAX files directly for viewing belongs in the GoPro MAX manual so that beginners (some of us read the manual before asking questions) can find it. I searched the manual but nowhere is there a mention of the GoPro Viewer. The manual anyway needs a workover, e.g. to add a glossary of terms for beginners and a PDF index so that the individual sections can be found quickly. It shouldn't be left to the new owner to thrash around the countless pages of jargon-and-acronym-filled insider stuff on the internet to find simple instructions.

Highlighted
GoPro

You are awesome, @foggydusk54618! The .JPG format is for the photos. The .360 format is for spherical videos. You can also use an SD card adapter to directly connect the microSD card to your computer to access all the media files saved in the microSD card when importing them to your computer.

Let us know if anything else comes up.