Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

How to edit 360 videos, stored at external HDD, in iPAD in GoPro app? (not directly from MAX)

[ New ]

Dear Sirs,

when my SD-card in GoPro MAX was full, I moved some videos from the SD-card to external HDD.

now I would like to come back to that videos and edit them at iPad in your App but how to upload videos to app?
I tried to move videos back from HDD to SD-card but then camera doesn't see that videos and I can't upload them from camera to App. Is it any way?

best regards

sergey

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: How to edit 360 videos, stored at external HDD, in iPAD in GoPro app? (not directly from MAX)

[ New ]

Thank you for the hint!

I've found the solution!

The reason that camera and the App did not see old videos, because these 2 files (*.lrv and *.thm) per each video were missed. 

Luckelly I had many of these files next to videos which were still stored on SD card.

So I just used 2 of these files (*.lrv and *.thm) as a donor and copy them with the name of 360 file where these files were missed.

As a result I can see these "restored" videos by camera and successfully download them into App on iPAD.

Of course the thumbnails and video preview playing with the wrong content. But as soon you download it from camera into App the App will play and edit original full size video 360!

This is a solution.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

Re: How to edit 360 videos, stored at external HDD, in iPAD in GoPro app? (not directly from MAX)

[ New ]
Do you have access to a computer? The Best way to do what you are asking is to upload the files to the GoPro Plus cloud service and then use the app to download them to your iPad.
Hiker

[ New ]

@danielr15  ha scritto:
Do you have access to a computer? The Best way to do what you are asking is to upload the files to the GoPro Plus cloud service and then use the app to download them to your iPad.

I wonder why a person must be forced to purchase a paid service (GoPro Cloud services) in order to edit their videos stored on an external support to the camera. Wouldn't it be easier to be able to import the ".360" file directly into a specific directory so that the APP can then work on it? I don't think it's a complicated thing to do, as "others" do it in their app.

Hiker

[ New ]

To the OP, is it possible that you did not move ALL the files from your SD card to the HDD, and/or did not copy ALL the files from the HDD back to your SD card. I believe there are other files written to the SD card besides the .360 files that are required in order to edit your videos. I am certain that .360 video must be edited in camera as well as rendered in camera.

There re 3 ways to do this:

1-download original files from SD card to gopro App, then edit and render original files  in the gopro app. 

2-copy ALL the original files from your SD card to your HDD

-copy back to your SD card from HDD and then download original files from SD card to gopro App, then edit and render original files  in the gopro app

3-as was suggested in earlier post, copy .360 files to the gopro cloud, and when ready to edit/render, download the files from the cloud back to the gopro app. Note, there are several ways to upload files to the gopro cloud. If copying from your SD card to the gopro plus cloud, only the .360 files need to be copied to the cloud. Also note, unless you have a very fast internet speed, copying files to the gopro cloud takes a long time, (about an hour for a 4GB file).

To add files to the gopro cloud, sign in to your account>My Media>Add media, and then drop the .360 files only, to the Add Media tab.

There are several ways to add media to the gopro cloud, but this is the fastest way for me to do so, yet still painfully slow. 

i haven't had it confirmed by gopro, but it is possible due to the current world situation, the gopro servers are overwhelmed with everyone staying at home, and GoPro doesn't have the bandwidth to handle the volume of data being uploaded to their servers, as well as traffic on my local ISP slowing upload speeds. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@toughlift06750 So if I understand correctly, if I want to avoid using the GoPro Cloud for various reasons (cost, network overload, long upload / download times), if I have stored my videos on an external HD, the only way to be able to edit .360 files in the GoPro App is to transfer the files from the hard disk to the microSD (empty) and then insert it inside the camera. This way I can connect the smartphone locally to the camera and import the files into the GoPro App. Right?

Hiker

[ New ]

andreac, that is correct.  While I'm not certain that the .thm and .lrv files as well as the .360 files need to be copied to and from the SD card and your HDD, it can't hurt. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@toughlift06750  ha scritto:

andreac, that is correct.  While I'm not certain that the .thm and .lrv files as well as the .360 files need to be copied to and from the SD card and your HDD, it can't hurt. 

What a useless complication: I remain of the idea that it was simpler to have a folder in the smartphone memory where I could throw the ".360" files and then be used by the app.

Explorer

[ New ]
Not to pull away from the original discussion, but just FYI: GoPro uses Amazon Cloud Service for GoPro Plus. Also, the mobile app is optimized for cloud uploading and only takes a fraction of the time as the desktop/web version does.

The Best practice is to:
1) Don't store media on your SD cards. At the end of each shooting session, download the media to your movie device (and allow uploading to GoPro Plus), and offload to your computer/external hard drive.

2) Format the SD card in the camera. Periodically you should also do a full format in your computer to allow checking for any bad/damaged sectors (always follow with a format in the camera).

3) Edit your 360 footage with the mobile app. Save the reframed videos to the mobile device and delete the original 360 file to maintain storage space.

4) Move the reframed files to your computer/external hard drive (these files can now be easily used in any video editor, like the free DaVinci Resolve).

5) Once transferred over to your computer/hard drive, you can safely delete all the media from the app/phone.

There is no point in discussing the merits of the mobile app or how/why you might think a better system should have been utilized. GoPro engineers have been working very hard at optimizing the app for the best performance on a wide range of devices. Trust me, they are smarter than you when it comes to their app and they have their reasons for building it the way they have.