Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

How to disable update date + time popup every time Hero 8 boots?

[ New ]

I am using my GoPro Hero 8 with the media mod and a CamLink 4K as a webcam for VC these days. I've removed the battery and just connect it directly to power when I need to use it. Presumably because of the lack of a battery, the GoPro no longer is able to keep time, which I don't really care about right now anyway.

However when I boot the camera, it keeps showing me a popup to update date and time (see attached picture, cropped to just top 1/2 of video feed). This used to just be a minor annoyance, because I use folder structure to organize by date, so I never needed it on the actual file itself. However on a video call, this is now extremely distracting. To make things worse, even if I use the external hardware buttons to make the popup go away, a black line will remain where the border of the date and time popup box used to be.

How can I just permanently disable the date and time feature on my GoPro? Or at least get rid of the repeating popup? 

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 9.56.56 AM.png
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: How to disable update date + time popup every time Hero 8 boots?

[ New ]

Hi @foggyblaze4756

Make sure to go through the setup completely. The notification only appears if it has not been completed.

Date reset happens when the camera has not been used for some time or if the battery has been removed.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

Re: How to disable update date + time popup every time Hero 8 boots?

[ New ]

I do have the battery removed, because I don't need it while I'm stuck inside and the camera is always connected to power, and it also seems bad for the battery to leave it charging constantly. It's fine if the date resets and isn't accurate anymore. It shouldn't be spamming me with popups.