Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

How to convert 1080p 120 fps video to 60 fps

[ New ]

I have a GoPro 5 black that I use to shoot footage while cycling.  Up until today, I've been shooting in 1080p 60 fps.  In an effort to make my videos more sharp, I increased the frame rate to 120 fps.  However, I got some unintended cosquences in the form of really bouncy footage.  (I don't own a gimbal and just have the gopro mounted to an "Out front" Quad lock mount.)  In the past, I got some road vibration, but is was tolerable.  But not it's not.  

My question is if there is a way to convert the video that I shot today during a 62 mile organized ride from 120 fps to 60 fps, without changing the speed of the video?  I have a mac with iMovie and Quicktime, but nothing fancier than that.  Any help would be appreciated!

Backpacker

Re: How to convert 1080p 120 fps video to 60 fps

[ New ]

Great Question @natedogdaddo19

So you can use GoPro Quik and iMovie.

When exporting your file you can go to the settings and export in 1080p @60fps.

And this will keep the frame rate but lower the 120. 

May I ask why you want to lower the frame rate? 

Adventurer

[ New ]

120fps  catered to Slo mo.  you will have to render  the footage to the fps, the editor may simply do that and not slow it down,   if you use some editors that use speed and you use the fps there will slow down.  Best thing to do is to take a sample of 20 seconds or so and test it out.

Explorer

[ New ]
iMovie should allow you to set the export to 60fps. I think Handbrake will also allow you to change the output setting and may be an easier option. It's a free program you can download.

Back to Chris's question though, why do you want to convert? You should be able to use it with your other 60fps footage without issues.
Adventurer

[ New ]

As long as "the project" is at the correct render, there is no need to convert, that is the way todays software work by the project render setting

Tourist

[ New ]

When I shot in 60 fps, the resulting video footage was more forgiving when to road bouncing and vibrations.  The 120 fps footage wasn't.

Backpacker

[ New ]

@natedogdaddo19 This maybe because 60fps video has stabilization, and 120fps video doesn't.