Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

How to change GoPro community username?

[ New ]

I've been allocated this random alphanumeric username which really annoys me. Is there a way to change this here? @Anonymous ?

Accepted Solutions
GoPro Community Manager

Re: How to change GoPro community username?

[ New ]

@Anonymous - Your nickname is assigned when you create your account at GoPro.com. You can change the nickname one time. 

To do that, go to GoPro.com and login. Under your name at the top of the page is a drop-down menu. In that menu, select "Settings". From there, you should see your account info, and be able to change your nickname, if you haven't changed it already.

Thanks,

Jeff 

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

@Anonymous - Your nickname is assigned when you create your account at GoPro.com. You can change the nickname one time. 

To do that, go to GoPro.com and login. Under your name at the top of the page is a drop-down menu. In that menu, select "Settings". From there, you should see your account info, and be able to change your nickname, if you haven't changed it already.

Thanks,

Jeff 

Anonymous

[ New ]

thanks a tonne @jefft, youre a charm
this worked like clockwork

Anonymous

[ New ]

Is there a button to click to comfirm the change? because i cant change mine

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

I don't remember, but I think there is a process to save it once you've changed your nickname.

Anonymous

[ New ]

There is no confirm button to change the nickname as I type this response. I to would also like to change my nickname. I am also having an issue with changing my avitar

Anonymous

[ New ]

As you can now see I figured out how to change my avitar but still can't change my nickname

Anonymous

[ New ]

This does not appear to work and yet, even lots of users pose the same question, there doesn't appear to be a definitive answer.  I think it pretty stupid to allocate random Usernames in the first place, but then, not to allow members to change and SAVE their chosen username is just ridiculous.

I logged out of everything and started back where I should, even logged out of Quik too and yes, the settings option is there when I log back in and the allocated username is there, I can delete that, but there is no ''pencil'' by the side of this, but it does appear next to my Password so I guess, I could change that if needed, but still, how would I save it when there does not appear to be any SAVE SETTINGS option.

I have wasted most of my valuable day with on-line support sorting other problems out with Quik, SD cards that I only find out after the event which ones GoPro recommends and never thought that I would have to waste another hour or so trying to change my Username to something more suitable than some Seahorse or whatever.  I'm just glad that I wasn't allocated something like ''GayBoy''. 

Could you PLEASE get these basic requirements sorted as from what I understand, the original question was raised in 2016 and we're now almost halfway into 2017.

Thank you

Tourist

[ New ]

Same problem here!

Waited 20 minutes for Support (on hold music)

Support has no solution and treats you like this is a new problem!

My first Gopro camera, for my birthday no less and this nonsense is happening. ALSO the damned APP got updated on the 27, what that's two days ago and the new version won't support my Android 4.4.1 phone?!?

Makes me want to go look at Garmin's cameras.

The Gopro representitive said "someone would send me an email in 24-48 hours and maby they will have a solution".

bull**bleep**!

Tourist

[ New ]

@jefft wrote:

Thanks,

Jeff 

This is not a solution. The problem is that a random name is assigned and when you open the dialogue to change your avatar image your "one chance" gets used and you can not correct it. I talked to Gopro Customer Service and they can not correct this issue either. Even when they unlock the feature the highlighted bogus nickname is un-editable... typed characters do not replace the highlighted field in the nickname box. Unacceptable nonsense that new customers should never be exposed to.

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm having the same problem! I changed my username but there was no SAVE buttom to confirm the change so when I hit ENTER my laptop autocorrected my username to "enrage" and now I can't change it anymore. Like seriously?!?! I'm getting enranged indeed. There has to be a way to change it, I don't want this nickname!

Anonymous

[ New ]

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hello.  We are in May 2018 and it looks like this problem still exists. I am a new user and I too was assigned a weird random nickname which I am unable to change.  Anyone has an update you could please share with me on this?  Thanks, Freddy.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous

Your nickname is assigned when you create an account via GoPro.com. You can change the nickname once. 

Login to your account via GoPro.com.

Click on the drop-down menu. Choose "Settings".

From there, you should see your account info, and be able to change your nickname, if you haven't changed it already.

If you're having issues as you go through this process, you can try using a different browser or in-private browsing (incognito).

Regards,

Ej

Anonymous

[ New ]

Just bought my first GoPro, created an account and it's simply not possible to change the username. This is so stupid. Tried this a few times (different mail adresses) but I always get a warning like "already changed". That's simply not true. I didn't change my username.

Please fix this as soon as possible. It's an horrible experience if you are forced to create an account and you have to figure out how to change the username for 30 minutes. And in the end it seems like some kind of bug because no matter what you try, you always get the warning even if you never changed anything before.

Smiley Sad

Anonymous

[ New ]

Because I can't edit my previous post:

- It's also not possible to upload an avater, even I receive the "succesfully uploaded" message, it's just gone after reloading the page

- The site permanetly switches the language

Seriously, that's a horrible start (and I haven't even used the camera).

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous, 

Thank you for reaching out. This is definitely not an experience that we would like you to have. Let us help. When you said username, did you mean nickname? So far, I am able to cage first and last name, as well as Avatar. There is no save button on the page for account settings but you will get a notification that changes are saved after you did the change. I am not able to change my nickname but only because I have already changed once before. See if clearing cache, cookies, browsing history and/or using a different browser will allow you to change the nickname. 

For a more personalized support, you can reach out to our Support team via phone or chat here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi @mariustanya,

thanks for the quick reply. Yes, nickname. In German it's called "Benutzername" on your site which equals username.

I already tried a different browser which I never use but got the same result with a completely new mail adress: the first time I tried to change the nickname, I immediately received the message that I already changed my name (which I didn't). To me this just seems broken. Smiley Frustrated

Maybe I will try to create a new account in a few weeks or so.

In addition it would be nice if deleting the account really would delete the account. I tried this also at the beginning and by using the same mail adress as before, I got the same nickname as before and can't change it as well.

Best,

Henning

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have the same problem, try with firefox and VOALA!!!, apears a message to change whas successful (Change Save or some thing like this) and change the nickname.

Saludos!

GoPro

[ New ]

Good to know, @Anonymous! Thank you for sharing what worked for you. Stay stoked!

Anonymous

[ New ]

Thanks @Anonymous for sharing! I'm using Chrome and Safari on my Mac but I'm not willing to install Firefox just for using the GoPro website. This obviously should be solved by GoPro and not by their customers who have to try different browsers to use basic functions like changing a nickname. 

On a side note, I just sold my Session 5 after a few days because the quality of the footage and in particular the apps aren't as good as expected and I will try another brand.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I cannot change mine preset nickname either!  frustrating as there is No Save button on the page, ironically only a Delete Account button...Tried laptop and app. No Luck... Hope someone advises on how to change it & make it stick!  

Anonymous

[ New ]

Someone help!  It's 2018 and the issue still isn't fixed!  That's lame and not good customer service..... sick of companies that offer stuff that does not work.... frustrating.... 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous

It should allow you to change your nickname once. Please see if using a different browser will work.

Let us know how it goes.

Best Regards,

Ej

Anonymous

[ New ]

I cannot change it.  I have tried Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Edge and even Opera...  

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous

If it's no longer allowing you to change it then it means that it has been changed previously. 

If you wish to have a different username, you will need to create a new account with a different email address.

Thanks!

Ej

Anonymous

[ New ]

I've never touched my nickname and still I'm getting "the nickname can only be changed once" this is an absolute mess, GoPro you are a big company and stuff like this shouldn't be happening, I want my own nickname not this randomly allocated stuff because creating a new account means I need to change what account all my gopros are attached to and isn't garenteed to work in the first place

Capture.PNG
Anonymous

[ New ]

To do that, go to GoPro.com and login. Under your name at the top of the page is a drop-down menu. In that menu, select "Settings". From there, you should see your account info, and be able to change your nickname, if you haven't changed it already.

Nomad

[ New ]
This does no work for me. Everytime I go to the field to enter my username it keeps saying it can only be changed once so be careful.

I tried in IE and Chrome. Doesn't work doesn't save. Who do I contact?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @bikemivie

As an alternate option, you may try to register a different email address and set up your preferred nickname.

If you are still getting the same error, please reach out to our Support Team to check on this further.

They are available via phone or chat. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

where exactly setting can I change the nick?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @rapiddusk34788, 

First log-in to your GoPro account through gopro.com/login

Once you are there, under your name at the top of the page is a drop-down menu. In that menu, select "Settings".

From there, you should see your account info, and be able to change your nickname, if you haven't changed it already.

There is no save button so your nickname is changed automatically once you put in a new one. 

Let us know if it works for you. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

Quite stupid, I'm using it for more than a year, and there is still no simple button for save/change or whatever.

I've typed different nicknames number of times and there is no change.

Taking into account that this topic is open for more tnan two years, it is expected that someone from support will do something about or at least give a list of browsers necessary for change.

I've try this by phone (GoPro App) and on PC (Chrome) and it definetely is NOT WORKING!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @noblewave50178. The username can be changed following the steps as described in the post above. Have you been able to go through the steps? The username can even be changed multiple times, once every hour. Chrome is fine as any other browsers are. Just make sure that you are able to successfully login to your GoPro account through gopro.com/login .

If you are still not ale to change it on your end, let our Support team know so they can walk you through the steps. Their contact information is at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . 

Sightseer

[ New ]
It's sad this was posted in 2017 and there is still no clear way to change your username.
Highlighted
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @peppyvista00261. The post above details how to do it. Are you still unable to change your username? 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Okay, here we go. The date is 4th March 2020. I see this thread was opened in 2017...and here i am having the same problem. Changing the name is easy enough. Getting it to save is impossible. Well, for me anyway. I've even tried clicking the link to speak to Customer Service. So far, which is ten minutes and counting, no one has arrived. They say Gopro Plus customers get priority, too. As a new Gopro owner who is currently going trialling Gopro Plus I must admit to expecting a better service than what I've seen and read so far. Alas, I have to go now, without getting a chance to even chat to anyone. I think, unless this is solved in other ways, I won't be continuing my Gopro Plus subscription when the trial expires. Have a great day.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Update. I have finally done it! See above for details.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Well this is very unsettling.  I just joined Gopro and I too cant change my user name.  The text next to the user name says "can only be changed once per hour".  Well this is untrue as I cant change it from Firefox or my Iphone.  Please fix this issues.  Appears from this thread this has been going on for several years!   

Sightseer

[ New ]

Here we are in 2020 with the same problem still... luckily I figured out the issue (no thanks to GoPro's community development team). I was trying to update mine to Allgood_73 and it appeared it would take with no error messages or anything... I would then leave the page and come back, only to see that it had been reverted. Finally I tried Allgood73 and I actually saw the page dim for a second as if it were saving. I switched pages and came back and sure enough, it truly saved the nickname. Next, I had to actually log out of my account and back in for the forums portion to update the nickname as well.

So apparently it does not like special characters of any sort.

Tourist

[ New ]
That Eureka moment when you discover that you can actually save a new nickname as long as it doesn't contain: 1. Special Characters 2. Spaces And don't expect capital letters to save you either, they all get shrunk to lower case. Still, better than nothing.