Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

How long does GoPro 8 last with 2month timelapse?

Hi there,

I hope someone can help me with this... I want to use my GoPro 8 to make a timelapse of a construction site. The building process will take 2 months. If I were to take a picture -let's say- every 15 minutes, how long will the battery last?

I don't have access to power supply unfortunately... the camera will be rigged with a cherry picker so I cannot manually change battery/power bank during these 2 months. I think my best bet is to buy a solar charger (21w) and attach 2 power banks to them that support passthrough charging... but if anyone else has a better idea: shout!

Thanks!

Emilie

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: How long does GoPro 8 last with 2month timelapse?

By the way, the solar charger needs to be high up (same level as GoPro) in order to catch enough sunlight... so I cannot just lead them with a long cable to the ground where someone changes the power bank.... Not using the solar charger, but only power banks with a long cable to the ground + having someone change the powerbanks is also not possible unfortunately.

Highlighted
Nomad

You'll be lucky if your GoPro lasts 2 days with a large (and I mean very large) powerbank.  Also ridding up solar panals to keep the power bank charged and putting it all on a cherry picker?  Also with a power cable plugged in your camera will no longer be water proof (nor will your power bank) and since they'll be exposed to the elements for 2 months.. this is an insanely complicated setup that could be solved cheaper and easier by just getting a proper timelapse camera or even a hunters trail camera (which also do timelapse).  With a camera like that you could easily just put 8 AA batteries in the thing and it will last you about 5 months.  The price for such a camera is about $50 upwards.  

Use the right tool for the job.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to respond. Appreciate it.

This was my exact conclusion going over it again this afternoon... :'-) We wanted to stick to the GoPro as we wanted to be able to zoom and go for a bit more 'cinematographic' look... but I agree with you. (By the way, our plan was to have our grip build a special waterproof case for the camera + cables...).

Decided to order a Brinno! And have the GoPro setup as an extra only if there's a power socket somewhere... 

Thanks!